Boy Scout/OA trip (NOAC) -- via Arkansas, Illinois, Michigan

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I will be traveling through these states and will "wave" at any GPF members there ......this coming Sunday - Monday, and again when we return next week.

image.jpg

Our Local Order of the Arrow, NOAC contingent (from Caddo Lodge 149) will be traveling by bus, departing Sunday AM, headed to Michigan State University for the 100th Anniversary cellebration of this fine organization! I looked it up, and I figure we'll go through those 3 states (and maybe a corner of Missouri).

It's going to be a LOOOOOONG bus ride and I'm not 100% looking forward to it -- there's a big difference between being 20 and being 60 and what you can tolerate. But, still I'm looking forward to the comaraderie. I just hope to HEAVEN that that bus has a decent bathroom and that those boys & men will keep it clean, but as a precaution, I'm taking my camping "toilet seat covers" and hope that they work, LOL! Oh, and I'm packing my camping TP rolls, as well...... I'm going to be the only female among 50 or so males on this bus [we're picking up another Lodge on the way], sooooo....... "A scout is clean" -- the 11th point of the Scout Law.

On a positive note, the bus is supposed to have wi-fi and charging for electronics! So I'll be able to "chat" with you guys while I'm on the road. Also downloading a few movies that I can watch on the iPad.

For those who don't know, Order of the Arrow is an organization within Boy Scouting. It's a service oriented "honor" society. The OA's 100th year anniversary is this year, so it's the theme of the NOAC [National Order of the Arrow Conference] this year. I am fortunate enough to be a member, as is my 20 y/o son, who is also attending. Looking forward to spending some time with him, as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah, you can't get to Illinois from Arkansas without passing through Missouri - unless you cut over to Tennessee and then you'd hit Kentucky. And one way or the other you'll need to pass through Indiana - can't get to Michigan from Illinois without passing through the land of the Hoosiers!

Have a great trip - you're a braver woman than I am!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@bettasngoldfish Got it! Well, maybe not Clorox, but plenty of GermX! Even going to have to pack a couple of small (camping) fans, as there won't be any A/C up there -- us Southerners need our fans!

Oh, and BTW, we are staying in dorms -- this is all being held at Michigan State University, same place we were last time. The food will be great, and I even have the menu list for the week. Because I'm diabetic and have food allergies and listed that on my medical form, they emailed the entire menu and all the nutritional info to me:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
@bettasngoldfish Got it! Well, maybe not Clorox, but plenty of GermX! Even going to have to pack a couple of small (camping) fans, as there won't be any A/C up there -- us Southerners need our fans!

Oh, and BTW, we are staying in dorms -- this is all being held at Michigan State University, same place we were last time. The food will be great, and I even have the menu list for the week. Because I'm diabetic and have food allergies and listed that on my medical form, they emailed the entire menu and all the nutritional info to me:)

Nice getting the menu a head of time especially when there are limitations.

Believe me I hear you on the fans, I have a battery operated fan on a necklace that I keep in my purse. I take it everywhere I go. (a girl has to be prepared) For a battery operated fan it works pretty good, check it out on amazon www.amazon.com/Necklace-Vertical-Flow-Lanyard-Blue/dp/B00DB4KES0/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1438436281&sr=8-17&keywords=personal+fan

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just a follow-up to our route. They had us going via Kentucky, Tennessee, Illinois, and Indiana -- a more eastern route than what I'd checked out. They said the route change had to do with where they were doing a driver change.

Ask a Question