Brain damaged shubunkin?

Reaction score
I got a shubunkin thats.. brain damaged I think. Some months ago when my pond emptied itself, he had laid dry on concrete for many hours (could have been as much as 12hrs) but survived. Now it struck me that while he is well alive, he is acting like he has brain damage. I thought it would get better, but its not. I'll try and make a video later, its kinda funny and sad; he swims more or less normally most of the time, although hyper kinetic and wiggling a lot more than any other fish. He does eat with the rest, but particularly while eating, but also for no reason he will make the weirdest moves, like a spastic, flipping, making underwater salto's, ramming his head against the pond bottom so hard that if he didnt have brain damage yet, surely he must have now; ive even seen him swim very fast inverted for short stretches.. Never saw any fish do that ever.

Its not flashing, it doesnt look like spawning behavior, it just looks like insanity. or loss of control. Wondering if I should try and put him out of his mystery or keep him as a village idiot. I suppose he's not suffering?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Does the fish look good or is it ugly :regular_waving_emot

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have had these. Since I sell fish (locally only) I offer them as "Jerry's kids" at a bargain price. Someone always gives them a home.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
I have had these. Since I sell fish (locally only) I offer them as "Jerry's kids" at a bargain price. Someone always gives them a home.

So you mean its not related to having been oxygen deprived, some just are.. nuts?

As for being a beauty, not really. But he's a great entertainer lol

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Once, while transferring some small koi from an indoor tank to the pond, I accidentally pinned a small black and white koi to the floor of the tank with the net. It sent the fish into... well, into a three day coma. The little guy was spinning and twirling with the current. I thought I had paralyzed it... But the third day, the fish was swimming around normally. Its still around, and doesn't appear to have any brain damage.

Off topic, but just thought I would tell the story.

Ask a Question