Brand new pond, greenish-brown tint.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It's taken 2 months,but I've finally got my pond built and running (pics eventually). Filled it (~1000 gallons)and have been running the water into a skimmer and out through the waterfall. There is a decent amount of turnover (3300GPH pump). All that being said, the water has a greenish-brown tint to it. When I take a cup and scoop some out, it looks clear with no sediment, but the pond still looks slightly brown. I have yet to add any plants or fish, as I'm still tinkering with the waterfall. But my question is, is this something that can be fixed (or that I should even worry about)? I expected it to get slightly brown once I added plants and fish, but not when I'm just running water through. 20180908_154945.jpg 20180908_154923.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Perfectly normal. It looks like you have the beginning of some algae growth. Adding plants and fish will help the system balance. Remember, your goal isn't crystal clear water - just healthy pond water!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Like Lisak1 said it is normal. This is the hard part of pond building, having patience once it is up and running. Your pond will go thru many stages until you achieve a balance. It will happen but not right away. Congrats on the new pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Okay. I just thought it was odd since it's been like that from the outset. I initially thought it was some dirt/mud from all the rocks I had put in there (I did my best to wash them before using them), but most of that would've been filtered or settled by now. I didn't think I'd get any algae or bacteria this quick, but I barely know what I'm doing as it is, so this is all new to me. Thanks for all your help.

On a side note, should I wait to start putting plants and fish in there or is it better to put it in now while the pond is still figuring out it's chemistry?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Okay. I just thought it was odd since it's been like that from the outset. I initially thought it was some dirt/mud from all the rocks I had put in there (I did my best to wash them before using them), but most of that would've been filtered or settled by now. I didn't think I'd get any algae or bacteria this quick, but I barely know what I'm doing as it is, so this is all new to me. Thanks for all your help.

On a side note, should I wait to start putting plants and fish in there or is it better to put it in now while the pond is still figuring out it's chemistry?

I have had brown colored algae before. It eventually goes away. What size and type of fish are you planning to add? If you are thinking goldfish then I would recommend only a few right now until it fully cycles and then slowly keep adding fish until your desired amount. I think 1000 gallons would be too hard to maintain with Koi. Definitely plants are good because they help with the nitrogen cycle.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree, with Lisa. All the ponds I’ve ever built, plants start going in right away. As was mentioned the plants will help lessen the severity and length of the pond cycling.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put plants in as I build, add water add plants, The bog was planted before the pond was running. Just filled it with water, had some good growing plants by the time the pond was running.

Ask a Question