Brand new pump please be enough

Reaction score
I have a brand new laguna maxflo 1500 pump that I bought about a year ago for a project that didnt end up happening. Now I just dug a pond that came out to about 1700 gallons and I made a 55gal doc filter for it with 1" plumbing going into it. I have about 4' head above the pond surface to the filter. Now i know that this will be under the amount to pump my pond gph per hour but I'm hoping that with the filter it will be enough to keep my pond clean because i paid about $200 bux for that pump and I doubt I can exchange it since i dont have a receipt anymore and the 2100 maxflo is $300. Do you guys think that this will work or am i just gonna have to bite the bullet and drop another $300 for the 2100 pump? I plan on having Koi and goldfish in the pond. thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It should work, you won't get a true every hour turn over. Keep your koi load light.

Reaction score
Measure the flow you actually get with that head. Im guessing you will end up with a turnover rate of once every 2 hours, which is probably enough. If it turns out its not, you can always add another pump (and/or filter). No need to throw away what you have.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
according to Lagunas head chart.....you hould still have over 1200 gph @ 5' of head with the Laguna maxflo 1500,,,its rated at 1162 gph @ 6' of head.

Reaction score
1200gph doesnt sound so bad. and just to make sure, the head is measured from the pond surface correct? The pump is gonna be 3' under water and then has to reach the top of the filter which is another 4' above the surface, but everything i read said that you measure head from the pond surface. Also do you think it would be worth it if I increased the size of plumbing from 1" to 1 1/4" or would the gph pretty much stay the same? thanks for your help

Ask a Question