Break in

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I dont believe it last night between 0300 and 0530 our home was burgled by an opertunist thief we feel violated weve lived here since 1990 and our area has been crime free until last night.
Val forgot to secure a window and this low life got in he stole a ring watch our lap top with all our koi details on our KKU program some tobbaco and a ring watch and would you believe it a banana.
This home has been our sanctuary all thse years and now we feel violated man if hey cath this bastard I want 10 minutes alone with him in a Police cell where I would kick the living crap out of this guy.
Now all we can do is to wait for the soco to arive to take finger prints and make a claim on our insurance man this has spoiled everything for us and near as damn it on my Birthday which is going to be spoiled because of this as will Vals a few weeks later on.

rgrds

Dave

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Sorry to hear that. But don't let that guy spoil your fun. Forget about it and think good things instead.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Darn Dave that is horrible. So Sorry to hear

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sorry to hear about that Dave! That SUCKS! But as Dr. Case stated, think of it as, IT COULD have been worse, Like catching him in the act and killing the guy. Sorry to say, If I ever caught someone breaking in I do believe they would end up in the hospital at a minimum, In a coffin worse case scenario, Then I would have to live with THAT, the rest of my life. From what I read the two must important things the guy stole was your lap top and your Sense of security in your home, All else can be replaced (Unless the Jewelry was sentimental) from the Ins. $$$ Even the Laptop can be replaced, but not all those hours of Data. Hope they catch him!! And then gets what he deserves!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry to hear but you are safe and not so sound .I know that something like that can leave mental scares .It ends up being something you think about and wonder if they will come back .I got an alarm system on my house in NJ to be safe after that happened to me and funny thing is lived on a dead end street and none of the neighbors were home and robbers broke in 3 of the homes,only 4 houses on the road .Every noise after that scared me .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry about that Dave. We had one guy do that before we moved to the house we are in now. We weren't home at the time. Our son was living out in back in a trailer and heard a big banging noise and came around to the front of our house where he found our door busted open. Our son walked into the house and towards our back bedroom where he found the guy going through our stuff. The guy saw him and jumped up w/ the goods in a pillow case and ran past our son pushing him out of the way. Our son ran after him and the guy proceeded to pull the license plate off the front of his truck.........he forgot the back one tho. The guy sped away but son got plate #. Cops were called and did not take prints and checked out the guys plate and info came back that he didn't live in the area anymore. Cops asked son if he new a guy by the name of such and such and son said no. So when we got back home we had the name of the guy to go on. Made cops come back that night and take prints and only came up w/ partials. After that since I had the guys name I looked it up in the phone book and found a family w/ a last name of his living a few miles away from us. Walked down there one day w/ my big dog and lo and behold there was the truck w/ the license # sitting right in front of that house. So much for the cops! Called cops and they said all they could do was send him a letter and invite him to come chat w/ them.............what the heck? So I decided to do my own detective work. Long story short after following him all over w/ my car and walking down there all the time taking notes and keeping in touch w/ the cops it all paid off. Got a call from the cops one day and they asked me if I was still tracking the guy. I said yes and I have dates and notes. They asked me to look at my notes and see if I had seen him driving his truck on a certain day. I did and said yes he even waved at me that day and smiled. He didn't have a clue who I was, just thought I was a friendly neighbor walking my dog. So the cops said a guy driving that truck w/ his description pulled off a burglary on that day but when they questioned him he said he no longer had that truck and was not driving it that day. Ha ha I was able to tell the cops I saw him driving that day and he eventually confessed to both that burglary and ours. He did finally find out who I was and I showed up in court for his hearings. He went to prison for 5 years and we even got checks in the mail after he got out paying us back through the state. He was a career criminal and 45 yrs old addicted to heroin. Don't know whatever happened to him and one day the checks just stopped coming in so he either died or went back to prison cuz he still owed us money. Fortunately we had moved away from that house where he knew I lived while he was still in prison.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze jw lucky for your son the guy did not harm him .We had one down the road here broad daylight and he took whatever he could get .Even the ride on mower .The neighbor said she saw a truck and trailer coming down the road as she was headed home but thought nothing of it since that seems normal for around here .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to thank you all for your concern and support, sorry I've not been on since the crime was committed against us but there have been Officers to talk to and repeat our srtory to them.
I dont get this guy though he stole a first generation mobile camera phone, two of Val's purse's with very in the way of cash in them just a few pounds, the cards were cancelled within an hour of the crime (and as such of no use to him) .
My Amsterdam redlight district tobacco tin bought from a charity shop, a finger ring again from a charity shop and our Laptop (with all my fish data in it)which was the only item of any great value to be stolen thankfully he couldn't take our base station with him allowing us a window on the world so to speak. But its the mobile phone thats the one that hurts as there were lots of photo's of our long gone first cat family ( we rescued another three after the last one passed away), so we'll never see them again and of great value sentimentally to us.
He also stole of all things a banana so he must have a sweat tooth.
But its the being on our property without our permission that really gets to me and I'm so angry with this person for doing this, which has seen the anger put away all those years ago bubble to the surface that really frightens me (I believe had a walked out on him I would have snapped there and then with a strong possibility I may have killed him) very frightening .......
There is also the worry of the insurance people to turn round and say no to us but it was an accidental mistake in Val forgetting to lock the window they sometimes try to worm their way out of paying for items like this claiming the property was insecure at the time of the break in...........
The police I cant fault apart from it took them an hour to arrive, Soco where faster and were there in record time.
Today we had two Detective constables come round to talk with us about the burglery and what was taken etc , they also said with our permission they would put an impact statement in the local paper and as a warning to people about this guy (I was reading about this in the paper just the other day never thinking we would be next!!!!........
The Detective constables have arranged for victim support a civilian organization attatched to the Police to come out and see us giving us support . As to if the flat will ever recover I dont know up until the the burglery it had a nice peaceful atmosphere, that friends loved coming to to relax (this is how we set it up to be) this was so I could recover from my violent abuse all those years ago it has made us strong as a team .
Now feels she doesnt want to go out at night and leave our home open to this person coming back silly I know but she has a point.........a friend has suggested putting a baby monitor with camera and sound in the front room or Kitchen as a first line of defence which for the low cost of these is I think a very good idead what do you think?
A bit later we could fit one of those motion operated camera's that they use in animal documentarys they cost a bit more but a great idea.
Again thank all for your kind words it shows there are people with morals in the world now sadly lacking in three generations of British kids (so sad)......

rgrds

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
IP cameras work well, camera and transmit all in one package. You can get one for around 50-80 us dollars. They transmit images to your email, phone, computer, you can also wet it up to display on a monitor. Motion activated.
Not sure what baby monitors run in cost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Addy I like the sound of that have you a website I could look at to see what they have in tock so to speak ?

rgrds

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The emotional scars from it will last for awhile .Maybe his potassium was low and the banana helped .The fear it will happen again don't help .I still remember every once in awhile and have a nightmare about it ,but then remember I don't live in that state or in that house .Google security for where you live because after it happened to me I had a security set up put in my house to monitor everything .I have seen a show about if you have a web came and leave your computer running they can drive by and lock into it through you puter .Even security cameras can have that done to them .It was on 60 minutes show here .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to hear about that Dave! That SUCKS! But as Dr. Case stated, think of it as, IT COULD have been worse, Like catching him in the act and killing the guy. Sorry to say, If I ever caught someone breaking in I do believe they would end up in the hospital at a minimum, In a coffin worse case scenario, Then I would have to live with THAT, the rest of my life. From what I read the two must important things the guy stole was your lap top and your Sense of security in your home, All else can be replaced (Unless the Jewelry was sentimental) from the Ins. $$$ Even the Laptop can be replaced, but not all those hours of Data. Hope they catch him!! And then gets what he deserves!
Larkin here in the UK there has always been a question of what is constitutes reasonable force that you can use on a criminal caught in the act of a break in, sadly people have ended up in court charged with greivous bodily harm because they beat the living crap out of the guy ......
Now the government has come out on our side by saying its up to the person. It gives us a greater power in the act of a citizens arrest as they are saying provided you dont kill the guy almost anything goes

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sissy weve been given a phone mumber to contact Safer Cities Home they come to your home and suggest then fit for free security devices , which I'll contact tomorrow .

rgrds

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
glad you are not taking chances .The you never know if it will happen again causes to much mental anguish .

Ask a Question