Breeding Injuries Infected?

M

MariaTeresa

Pond 1000gal. 7 adult goldfish, lots of babies, 1 tadpole
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Ph 7-7.5
Phos about 1.5
Currently treating pond with Aqua Prazi dosed Saturday, will dose again on Wednesday

My big female goldfish (common, about 8-10") sustained some pretty extensive injuries during spawning. She lost many scales on both of her sides from being hit into rocks. She's been lethargic, but I attributed that to the fluke issue in the pond (which I'm currently treating with Aqua Prazi, dosed on Saturday afternoon). However, today I noticed that the big white sections on her side (from the missing scales) have some darker reddish coloration. From a distance (as close as I could get to her, she's hanging out about 2' down in the middle of the pond under the lily pads) it looks like her abrasions are infected, some ulcers starting or something. I was unable to catch her. She keeps hanging out in the maze of lily pads which makes catching just about impossible.

What should I do if I continue to be unable to catch her? "Fancy Goldfish" (Erik Johnson) says for red spots to check for bacterial infection and parasites and treat accordingly, but I can't catch her. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Need to acctually take a good look at her to see if shes having problems from spawning or not otherwise we can only go off your description Maria Teresa which at best doesnt help much I'm sorry to say :( .
Remember that spawning is a rough affair she may be catching her second wind under the lily pads or she may indeed be in dire straights
Sometimes red is the colour of healing and it could well be that that is what your reading into this but catchh her you must so that we can have a look at what may be wrong with her .
How much areation do you have going into the pond at the present time you should always add extra during treatments .

Dave

M

MariaTeresa

Thank you for your quick response, Dave.
I tried to catch her again and no luck. If speed is a sign of health then she can't be too bad. I have not seen the fish spawning for at least two weeks now, nor have I seen any eggs on the water hyacinth. However, I have seen a few day old fry, and they have to come from somewhere.

I increased aeration when I started the prazi. I have the air pump going 24/7 (I usually run it just at night, so I can see the fishies during the day) as well as the waterfall.

I'm thinking the only way I'll catch her is to actually get in the pond, but I'm not sure if I should do that with the prazi in there. Or maybe get someone else to shoo her in the direction of the net.

I'll work on catching her and getting pictures.

I hope she's just healing.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
goldfish are bad at breeding i just had a fellow ponder bring me his injured goldfish from the breeding frenzy and using herbal relief meds.It worked before with other fish .Hope you can see her it is a pink tote I have her in .They called and brought her over last night.It is not the right meds but it worked with another ponders injured fish ,so hoping

Attachments

• first water lily 7-13-15 023.JPG
    first water lily 7-13-15 023.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 348
  • first water lily 7-13-15 025.JPG
    first water lily 7-13-15 025.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 307
M

MariaTeresa

Well, she can't be feeling too badly as I caught her spawning this morning with a shubunkin. Thankfully the shubunkin is way too small to shove her into the rocks. Since I've been completely unable to catch her, I'm going to just let her be. I'm hoping sick fish don't spawn.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have seen rub marks on some of my females, they heal nicely by themselves. So far

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I treat my pond and fish, like I treat my bees and plants. Give them the best I can, then they are on their own. I can not control nature.

Ask a Question