ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I've recently discovered not one, but three potential buyers for koi fry within a 30 mile radius of my home. :bowdown: I've desided that I need to get ahead of the game and start my breeding early this year. I've never actually bred my koi, they bred by themselves, so I need some help this time around.

Setup:
I have a 600 gallon indoor tank with adequate filtration and more than enough oxygen through air stones. It is a wood shop, so it has easy access to both a hose and a drain. It stays pretty warm in the shop, but I could bring the water temp down if I needed to. I have two yarn spawning mops in but I may need more of them

Stock:
I currently have four fish in the tank. One is a large 10-11 inch red and white koi that is much wider than my other fish, so I assume it is female. Two of them are mutt koi fish that are thinner and about 9-10 inches, who I assume are male. The third fish is a small adolescent black and white koi fish that, well, isn't supposed to be there. He was supposed to be brought outside after his injuries healed. I sort of forgot about him and then the pond started to freeze. Oops :bowdown:

So...
I have these questions: How do I get these koi fish to breed indoors? Do I need to make a simulation winter? Should I take the spawning mops out first? Do I need more of them? Does a drop or raise in pH stimulate breeding? What else can stimulate breeding? I plan on removing the fish after breeding, not the eggs, is that alright? I have more questions, but thats all I can think of for now.

Please help!

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Ok, more questions:

Do I need to remove the younger individual before breeding? Will he interfere with the romancing?

How long does the breeding process take? How do I know when they are done?

Answers to ANY of these questions would be nice!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The female Koi has to produce eggs first. That occurs over several months. Then around May or June, she starts to lay her eggs. The males follow her around as long as she is laying eggs. This can take up to 8 hours and there is no mistaking the activity. The males are so focussed that they won't even notice you watching. When they are done, the pond is a mess and the eggs are everywhere. The eggs look like tapiocca.
Time and the season dictate the action, there is little for you to do except be patient since it is 6 months away.

Ask a Question