Breeding

Hay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I stop my fish from making more baby fish? I had 6 fish to start but after 2 years I had 152!! I since moved my pond about 4 months ago and kept 10 of the fish as went to smaller pond. I have today notice another 100 or so babies!!! I promise I am not lying there really is that many. I do nothing to my pond! I Have a resident frog, newt and pond scatters but also very randy fish. My pond will not sustain this amount of fish. Any way I can stop them breeding??

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF!

Sorry to say there's really no way to prevent breeding. We stop feeding ours when we see signs of spawning. Hungry fish will eat the eggs before they can turn into more fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Over population is a pond problem, an aggravationto be sure ! Lots' of people say that Mother Nature balances out their ponds at a certain level, but that has never happened in my pond.

Having a single sex pond is the only sure fire way to stop spawning. I have 2 males and 2 females and love all 4, so an stuck. At the end of each summer I have "The Great Koi Round Up", lower the water and net the babies......total pain - ugh !

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1565209808956.gif
@Hay Yep stop feeding them and they will eat the eggs up like mine do. I hardly ever get a baby any more.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I added a trio of golden orfes to my pond this summer to try to solve this problem. So far, I'd say it's working. I notice many fewer, if any, very small fry and fewer medium sized fry.

Ask a Question