bridge ideas

Reaction score
ok all,

pond pic is attached, i need to get into the far corner easily and getting in and out of the pond is a pain in the but.

i put a few board together for a sort of bridge but was too heavy to move around.

Anyone have any other ideas to support 150 pound person aside from heavy wood?

Attachments

• 20130813_184129.jpg
    20130813_184129.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 383

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you could do it in composite wood but it would still be heavy .There is not much else that would support your weight unless you use what the cistern ponder did and use an aluminum ladder

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you look at the post for cistern pond build he used an aluminum ladder to get over it ,He even put his quilt batting on it to help clean the pond

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Are you looking for something permanent or something to just use when needed and stored away after. For wood that is lightweight and good with water, I would recommend cedar.

I've always wanted to build a small replica of the Mathematical Bridge in Cambridge, so if it's a permanent bridge, you can build this out of cedar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_Bridge

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hmmmm Good Question, How wide is the area of your pond (From shore to shore lol) where you want the bridge? If its temporary then I say the Ladder idea is great but permanent it will have to be easy on the eyes. BTW where can you buy the "creeping Jenny" if thats what it's called, I need a good ground coverage plant for the sides of the pond and i like the way it drapes and fills in!

GreatDanesDad

Electro-Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
Looking at your picture, I think you will be really unhappy with a bridge across to that corner. If you insist, the cheapest and most sturdy building materials I found were the logs I used to frame my whole pond. They were like $3 for an 8' section at Home Depot, and they would match the wood you already have against the wall. However, you might try bricks under water with a flat stone on top, or something like that to make stepping stones. I am sure as with the ladder thread everyone will have suggestions on how to do it, but how awesome would stepping stones look going across your beautiful pond rather than a clunky bridge..

http://www.worldofwater.co.uk/pages/Building-a-Bridge,-Stepping-Stones-or-Jetties.html
Something like this maybe. Looks like a lot of work depending what is under your liner currently.

Attachments

• IMG_1334.JPG
    IMG_1334.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 346

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I buy those logs for my baskets and wait until there on sale for 1.97 .He said he did want to move it so guessing temporary and cedar will put tannins in the water
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:56002]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used mine the other day over my pond because even my bridge does not help .I could not get to the area from the bridge to pick up plant pot that blew in the pond and suck and pool net was useless it just kept moving it around and it just kept going back to the same spot .I tried grabbers too ,as soon as I got it it would escape .So tried the ladder and darn if it did not work .An hour out there before I tried my fiberglass ladder .I found an old wooden one at the other house I am going to bring it over here and use it .May use this idea on the other pond at the other house too .I have 2 extension ladders and don't need both here so going to take the other one over for that pond .The one is a 2 story extension ladder and have not used it in years so took it and pulled it apart to be 2 ladders and this way they will work side by side .Gosh cistern pond builder started something

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Check out automotive supply places. They sell ramps for loading things into pickups. Welded aluminum, strong enough to drive a four-wheeler over, and some aren't too bad looking!
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know I got my ramps at harbor frieght but they are heavy .I used my fiberglass ladder today ,it was handy and light and did not feel like going to get the aluminum one since I put it in the shed and the fiberglass one was sitting there staring in my face after i changed the bulbs in the security light and batteries in the smoke detectors in the basement .Electric but they have battery back up .

Ask a Question