Bridge

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Hi Guys,

I'd like to have your feedback on an idea we've had for building a bridge over the new pond.

The garden is going to be lanscaped along rustic lines - so old logs, forest plants etc, so we'd like to keep the pond in the same style.

The pond is hour glass shaped, and we're planning on building a bridge over the narrowest part - approximately 8 feet at that point. The idea i've had is to use pine logs from the local saw mill. They are cheap and two logs, with decking inbetween, can easily span this distance.

Does anyone have experience of this type of construction, or could recommend a good website? I'm particularly interested in how the logs would weather with time, what size timbers are suitable, do the logs need to be stained etc.

cheers,

Andy.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The pine will weather to a darker color. The only thing you need to consider is sap dropping from the pines into the pond. We used approx 8 inch logs to build something similar over a natural small creek in colorado.

It is still there to the best of my knowledge, Without sitting in wet all the time the logs did well. We did remove the bark.

flatten an area for each board to attach to.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Hi Addy,

Good information. Thanks.

When i get it build i'll post some pics.

cheers,

Andy.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We removed the bark to allow the wood to dry ow it tends to stay damp and rots faster.

Reaction score
Yes, I think it was Westminster. I went to what used to be Colorado Aero Tech.
I proposed to wife #1 on a ledge in Rocky Mountain National Park. I always joked
that if she said no I would have pushed her off. lol

Ask a Question