Bring New Life Into This Old Short Light Post

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
I was about to have our old short light post removed when my wife spoke up and told me she wanted to keep it up. The post and light house are made of cedar so the wood is solid. The obvious thing to do would be to install another light and leaded glass panels but having had teenage vandals twice destroy that setup we are not going to that route again.

I eagerly seek your creative suggestions. :cheerful: .

old post light.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Agreed, tack some strips of board around the bottom of the house to keep the seed in.

or plant a climbing flowering plant at the base such as Clematis.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Bird feeder

or plants that will hang down like the one they use for the hanging basket, make itfalling from all side.

Reaction score
Since it looks like it is near the front door, I wouldnt do a feeder ... seed will end up everywhere, be tracked in, and not exactly pretty at the front door ... so with that said I would either plant a flowering vine, and stop there, or put a small bed around it with something like a variegated climbing euonymus...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thank you all for the numerous ideas and comments. As sometimes happens, I just happened to stumble upon a different solution. After the entire structure is thoroughly cleaned and refinished an attractive faux bird nest will be placed on the platforms base. I've attached a link to the nest's sales page.

The front of the house is also receiving a few new features. A selection of year-round wreaths will add a splash of color to the front door. Two over grown Yaupon Holly trees have been removed from the front right side flower bed. Lastly, new window-header trim is soon to be installed on the two first floor windows.

Again, thank you.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/birds-nest-with-grass-and-eggs-565317/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
A big reason for such a low cost feature has to do with vandals. If kids (direct off a school bus by the way) tear up the nest little is lost. Cathy wanted nothing added due to the past vandalism that did destroy two sets of expensive true wavy glass and lighting hardware. Turning it into a bird feeder was the number one suggestion. We actually tested that idea out for about a month this summer. No evidence it attracted any birds. We think the then feeder being so close to the street may have caused the birds lack of interest. My personal desire was to recreate the original design. You know who put the kibosh on that! LOL

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I come to you with a GLOWING RED FACE! The bird nest that I thought would be robust @ 5.5" arrived is is very meager. It would have little to any visual impact. So it's back to considering your ideas. I did consider putting a brass hanging bell in the enclosure but it would diffently attrack kids.

Ask a Question