Bring on the fall weather! 2 quick questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
So hopefully it won't be long until it starts cooling down, but I need a bit of advice.
1) I've never tried to keep my own plants inside for the winter but would like to bring in hyacinth. How do I keep it alive? Does it just need normal inside temp or a heater? Does it need a lot of actual sunlight during winter?
2) Some of you may remember that I kept a few babies out of my pond. The pond is stocked so the babies are getting an approx 80 gallon patio pond, but I worry Mr Chubs won't make it outside. He's so small, he's ...deformed I guess? He's only the size of about my pinky nail and he's ROUND. He's about a third of the size of his siblings.Should I just bring him in? I love that little weirdo.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Photo of Chubs in case it helps. Also if it helps I live in zone 7b, lower TN, doesn't typically get very cold.

Attachments

• 20190718_174603.jpg
    20190718_174603.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 145

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Gold fish handle cold water just fine, if you don't have freezes that make the water solid i.e. ice.
Little chubs, no clue how chubs would do, you could just bring chubs in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I tried overwintering my patio pond plants inside one year - total pain in the "you know what" to deal with as I don't have a spot in my house that can really accommodate setting up a plant nursery. But I did it anyway and was feeling really accomplished as I enjoyed my pond plants all winter long... until March. Then things suddenly went south. My plants were struggling from the lack of daylight and had done the best they could. But now - weeks before I would be able to move them back outside - they were done. They didn't die... but the were so weak and frail by the time I got them back outdoors that they took weeks to really start to grow again. Long story short - unless you have the ability to set up the proper conditions indoors it's just not worth it in my opinion.

As for saving a hyacinth - I'm OK with spending the $3.50 at the beginning of the season and buying just one. I know that single plant will soon be a wheelbarrow full!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I do overwinter several tender aquatic plants indoors. Umbrella palm, Creeping Oxeye, Butterfly Ginger, and Taro have all been kept with success in my indoor 'pond' (100 gal. stock tank in the sunroom with a few goldfish in it) I have tried to keep Water Hyacinth in the past, and it was a miserable fail. Like Lisa, I'm OK with spending a few $ each Spring to buy new.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I tried that saving plants inside for winter thing and never again! Too much trouble and takes up too much window room.
As for the little fat guy fish, I think I would bring him in and maybe a buddy w/him to keep him company just so you don't worry about him all winter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like the big plants will be too much trouble, but yeah they reproduce fast so no big loss I guess. I am leaning towards bring in Chubbs to be safe. Probably bring Trip in with him and leave the other 2 outside.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had the exact same experience as @Lisak1 .......plants lasted till March and then gave up the ghost !
I might actually be ok then....it's only cool here for like 3 months :LOL: I want so bad to have fall weather this year. It usually just gets cool at night and still blistering hot in the day :cautious:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
If they cant live outside then they don't belong in the pond and I don't buy more of them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If they cant live outside then they don't belong in the pond and I don't buy more of them.
These are babies from this year's spawn. I think 3 out of 4 will be fine but one is basically deformed so I'm bringing him in just in case. I don't care for him to come in this winter, he's cute :love:

Ask a Question