Broken cardinal flowers

Reaction score
I recently planted cardinal flowers (Lobelia cardinalis) in my new natural swimming pool / pond. They came in 4" pots with thick blooming stalks 2 or 3 feet high. A few of these broke off in a bit of wind. Does anybody know if the plants will regrow eventually from the roots that are still in the substrate? And how about the stalks, would they possibly grow roots in a vase with water?

Robm

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I bought some nearly dead ones from the nursery, they have sent up new stalks. I also read they don't like to be soaking wet, just damp.
I put them in my non pond bog, but have some blue cardinal flowers that came up from last year in my pond bog which is wet. They survived our winter.

It never hurts to try and root them, my mom used to make almost anything root. Just take off any leaves that will be below the water so they don't rot on you.

Reaction score
Blue cardinal flowers, that's kind of interesting, seeing that the plant got its name from the red clothes worn by cardinals! And thanks for the encouraging words. I had another cardinal plant a few years ago that I planted in our farm pond. It didn't re-emerge the following year, so I hope to have more success with these.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Blue cardinal flowers, that's kind of interesting, seeing that the plant got its name from the red clothes worn by cardinals! And thanks for the encouraging words. I had another cardinal plant a few years ago that I planted in our farm pond. It didn't re-emerge the following year, so I hope to have more success with these.

Mine just started blooming
http://www.finegarde...nal-flower.aspx

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
robm, here is a shot of my blue cardinal, it just started blooming nicely. DSC02289.JPG

Reaction score
Beautiful! I still think though that Blue Cardinal is a strange name, Blue Lobelia would make more sense. But then agan, these are common names anyway.

Robm

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Beautiful! I still think though that Blue Cardinal is a strange name, Blue Lobelia would make more sense. But then agan, these are common names anyway.

Robm

Well true, just the name that came with it lol, and it is pretty, so we can just call it the blue one!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The book I have calls it Great Blue Lobelia (Lobelia siphilitica), Somewhat more appropriate. John

Ask a Question