Broken Valve

Reaction score
the valve on my pump broke yesterday (it contines to siphon off water through the backwash after I turn it to normal operation). I unplugged the pump to keep all the water from siphoning off until i can get it repaired, my question is how long can the fish survive in the pond without the pump running? it is in NJ and it pretty cold outside (less than 50 degrees).

let me know - thanks in advance for your help!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum.
Your situation has too many variables to give an exact answer. What you do have in your favor is the cold water. If your water was clear and had all the proper levels and you keep a circulation pump going in the meantime, providing you don't feed the fish and you are not already overcrowded. 1 day to a week. If all your parameters are perfect, maybe longer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
the key is not feeding the fish protein rich food while you repair your line. ammonia and nitrite toxicity will result from feeding in a stagnant pool. your fish can live off the alga on the side walls. the other issue is oxygen exchange. an air pump and air stone will solve that problem quickly because cold water hold far more oxygen than warm water. your pool surface can probably handle that exchange. your fish could stay healthy and safe literally for weeks . don't worry. be happy.

Ask a Question