Brokensword's bit of pond heaven [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow! Your artistic ability coupled with superb craftsmanship have created a 'Disney-like' venue. Simply fantastic! The turtle pics are great. Is their island cork? Thank you for sharing. Now, I have to hide these pictures from Neptune before he goes on strike!
Heh, I bet Neptune is sneaking peaks at the forum the minute you leave the house, Stephen! You know how turtles are!

Thanks for the compliment; always been artistic but most of my 'creativity' stems from not affording something but wanting it anyway! Gotta figure out then how to make it, ya know? I LOVED GB's log waterfall but knew by the time I found something real and doable, I'd be even older and grayer so figured I could whip something up in a week and satisfy my instant gratification!

Yes, it's cork. Had one for like 5 years but it got waterlogged and was falling apart a couple summer ago so made a new one with styrofoam underneath to keep the cork from aging so easily. I tried a real log 2 summers ago but it was taking on water and listing, so went back to cork. I like my original cork one as it would grow moss and stray water lettuce and looked more naturalized. That's one of my next summer projects--to attach/grow some moss or greenery to soften the cork a bit.

Thanks for the nice words and for stoppin' by, Stephen!

smilie sword twirl.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Taller height to the bog the elevation should have been higher. so i could have hade multiple drops.

Shts creek would have been 4 times larger.

The pump would have been right next to the bog so the water was just lifting the 7 feet in height to lesson distance and head pressure.

I would have made the stream have edges that were taller so in the winter i could have just let the waters run and not shut down the pond

and i would have made more areas like the pitcher plant island

Fabric under and over the entire liner not just pieces under the rocks but completely sandwiched the liner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Taller height to the bog the elevation should have been higher. so i could have hade multiple drops.

Shts creek would have been 4 times larger.

The pump would have been right next to the bog so the water was just lifting the 7 feet in height to lesson distance and head pressure.

I would have made the stream have edges that were taller so in the winter i could have just let the waters run and not shut down the pond

and i would have made more areas like the pitcher plant island

Fabric under and over the entire liner not just pieces under the rocks but completely sandwiched the liner
there any way to tweak/change what you have now? I know some seems kinda major but if you did one per year, would keep you busy and eventually (like me) you'd have a better GB Dream Pond!

smilie sword twirl.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
if you use any sort of 'planner/calendar', just jot yourself a note on such and such a Saturday, to TAKE PICS of the pond! Or, you can let @Mmathis keep an eye on you in that category!!!

View attachment 144225

View attachment 144226
lol I have a lot on my phone calendar get the alert say ok gotta do that, get busy doing something else so forth so on....................But I am happy with what I do take.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I wish I’d set up a camera to snap a few shots of my build every day so that I could stitch them together into a time lapse.

I have the cameras to do it, I just never set them up! Think I’ll do it now to catch the end of the build and the rest of the landscaping.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
OH IT ALL STARTS WITH THE BOG it would require the bog to go to 9 feet deep or deeper. i could raise the bottom but that's like shutting down a couple cylinders on a Ferrari because it has too much power. The stream is not a huge deal. Shts creek is major overhaul is it possible sure do i need to do any of it. nope . BUT ITS MORE like cw at this point I have built to the point where i can not reach many areas of the pond . the entire stream being one. Don't forget i have boulders much larger then two men can move There's two boulders in the stream that are 4 men to move boulders and all the 3/4 gravel and misc.
Other then the shts creek needing to be larger no one else would ever see an issue with the way it is now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just breath taking.
Everything is beautiful... pond, plants, fish, turtles, frogs, structure, on and on. You have it all!......A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!!

Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate the kind words, dear Sir! Glad you ambled by and peeked under the tent flap! I think though I wish I could have it 'open air', there's a huge amount of benefits having it enclosed. Think I mentioned in an earlier thread; never even used the backyard much (sitting) for 25 years just because the mosquitoes are fierce in the evening. Now? Mosquitoes? What mosquitoes? We can relax and just enjoy the show, you know?

smilie sword twirl.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have mosquitoes here, but not really in our yard, all the pond critters eat them up. Neighbors one road over complain a lot about them.
lil-bear-anigif-sml.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My neighbor blames my pond for all his mosquitoes even though i have no stagnant water and the pond across the street covered in lilies and has next no no flow cant be the source its too far away 50 yrds. I got a new sticker for my helmet yesterday. "Most people should substitute chap stick with glue sticks "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question