Brown algae? Identification help and what to do

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
I built a pond at my parents house last week. It's a smallish pond, maybe 200 gallons tops and only about 2 feet deep. We have a Beckett pump (w/ filter) that pumps 400GPH. There are a few plants in it, including a lily, and I'm looking to add a couple floating plants for more surface coverage.

So a brown film has appeared all over the liner. I think it's algae but I don't know what type. I know there's good algae and bad algae too...I don't know if which one this is. I wiped some off on a rag, it's a little slimy. I'm going to add some pics, so maybe you can help me identify it. I'm wondering if this is something we want to get rid of or not. It sucks that the pond doesn't look clear anymore. It's been raining a lot which might be part of the issue. I have a barley bale floating in the pond, but that will take a while to work I guess.

The other part of the issue is that there's a slight odor emanating from the pond. My mom thinks it's the algae. I don't think it is, but really I don't know. It could also be from gases because the bottom may not be getting enough oxygen. I just ordered an air pump for that.

Any advice is appreciated.

Was having trouble adding the pics of the brown stuff, so here's the links. (I wiped part of the liner in the second picture).
http://imgur.com/SQXC1Dl
http://imgur.com/5ByBAcc

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's tough to tell from the pictures but sounds like what I went through when my pond first cycled. It may take awhile for it to get settled.

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's tough to tell from the pictures but sounds like what I went through when my pond first cycled. It may take awhile for it to get settled.
Sorry...most of the water was reflecting too much light so it was hard to see the brown stuff in most places.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It took me a few months to get my pond clear. Then it went murky, then clear again. It took awhile for my bog plants to mature, for the water and layer of algae growth to cycle through. Depending on where you and your pond are you might have a tough time since the smaller ponds tend to fluctuate with regard to temperature which seems to translate to water clarity.
I know have only a bog and an occasional quilt batting filter keeping the pond clear.
Have you tested your water? Most of the more knowledgeable people on this site will ask for your water parameters.

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
It took me a few months to get my pond clear. Then it went murky, then clear again. It took awhile for my bog plants to mature, for the water and layer of algae growth to cycle through. Depending on where you and your pond are you might have a tough time since the smaller ponds tend to fluctuate with regard to temperature which seems to translate to water clarity.
I know have only a bog and an occasional quilt batting filter keeping the pond clear.
Have you tested your water? Most of the more knowledgeable people on this site will ask for your water parameters.

I have not tested it. I don't even know how to do that or what materials I need or what I'd be testing it for. I could certainly use some help there as well...

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in Maryland.
And the weather's being weird as usual. Last week when we started, it was hot and sunny. And then it started raining a bunch and hasn't stopped. Just on and off, really short showers usually. Today we got some pretty heavy downpour.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What you are showing in the photos appears to be simple rock dust that has settled out of the water. It will eventually filter out. It is harmless.
The only 'Bad' algae is Blue-green algae which is not really an algae at all but cyano-bacteria. It is quite rare in garden ponds.
Do not attempt to remove the 'slimy' coating on the liner. This is Biofilm forming and is all important. This organic formation is the foundation for the entire eco-system of the pond.

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
What you are showing in the photos appears to be simple rock dust that has settled out of the water. It will eventually filter out. It is harmless.
The only 'Bad' algae is Blue-green algae which is not really an algae at all but cyano-bacteria. It is quite rare in garden ponds.
Do not attempt to remove the 'slimy' coating on the liner. This is Biofilm forming and is all important. This organic formation is the foundation for the entire eco-system of the pond.

Okay, thank you! it's covering the entire liner and is heavier at the bottom so I didn't think rock dust could do that.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Okay, thank you! it's covering the entire liner and is heavier at the bottom so I didn't think rock dust could do that.

It appears that you did not rinse off the rocks before placing them around the pond's perimeter. The rain took care of that for you.
As to the odor, with the pond only being a week old, I can't think of anything that may be the source of this other than run-off caused by the recent rain. Do you not have a berm around the perimeter of the pond?

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
It appears that you did not rinse off the rocks before placing them around the pond's perimeter. The rain took care of that for you.
As to the odor, with the pond only being a week old, I can't think of anything that may be the source of this other than run-off caused by the recent rain. Do you not have a berm around the perimeter of the pond?

No, we rinsed off all the rocks before hand. They were really sandy when we got them.

Only one side of the pond is at risk for getting run-off. We built up sand in front of it to create a bit of a barrier and then built a little sidewalk on top of that which slopes away from the pond. And the rocks are piled up on that edge as well. So I guess we built a bit of a berm. I've been watching the pond when it rains and I can't see any run-off going into the pond.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The biggest, and hardest, thing I've had to learn is patience. It seems like a pond can go green overnight but being patient and methodically trying to deal with the issue is the best way to go. Don't dump a bunch of fresh water and chemicals and stuff in all at once otherwise you won't have any idea of what works and what doesn't. A pond can take a month or longer (mine took about 5) to clear up. Don't get overwhelmed and pictures always help the forum give you better advice.
I've also learned that what works for some, doesn't for others and there are about 3,546,345 ways to do something.
Also, I was mistaken, I thought you had fish which was the reason for testing the water. If you don't have fish, there's no need to test the water.
And lastly, have fun and enjoy the learning process, ponds are a fluid ever changing environment and never static, some days will be gin clear and others will be green snot filled, (well they are for me).
What did you plant the plants in? If you used dirt that may be part of the "murk". A lot of ponders use kitty litter and/or pea gravel to plant in, seems to reduce the murk.
I hope this helps.

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
The biggest, and hardest, thing I've had to learn is patience. It seems like a pond can go green overnight but being patient and methodically trying to deal with the issue is the best way to go. Don't dump a bunch of fresh water and chemicals and stuff in all at once otherwise you won't have any idea of what works and what doesn't. A pond can take a month or longer (mine took about 5) to clear up. Don't get overwhelmed and pictures always help the forum give you better advice.
I've also learned that what works for some, doesn't for others and there are about 3,546,345 ways to do something.
Also, I was mistaken, I thought you had fish which was the reason for testing the water. If you don't have fish, there's no need to test the water.
And lastly, have fun and enjoy the learning process, ponds are a fluid ever changing environment and never static, some days will be gin clear and others will be green snot filled, (well they are for me).
What did you plant the plants in? If you used dirt that may be part of the "murk". A lot of ponders use kitty litter and/or pea gravel to plant in, seems to reduce the murk.
I hope this helps.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm trying to be patient but my mom isn't patient at all.

The plants came in contains filled with some kind of mud. It didn't smell good. Might've had manure? The containers were topped with pea gravel. I transplanted two of the plants to floating planters which has holes in the bottom. (I've since removed the floating part because it wasn't needed, but we've kept them in the same containers. I'm terrible at transplanting so I don't want to do that again).

Ask a Question