Brown water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
The water in my pond is turning a brown colour. The water test parameters have not changed, all test well.
Was wondering if it is the string algae dying off?
The bog has not really taken off yet and need more plants but there are none for sale here yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Mine is too! I know part of it is from the tannins from all the oak tree tassels that fall in. No string algae yet this year - but I think mine is suspended algae in the water itself. I'm hoping warmer weather will get the plants going and help clear it up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You can test for the cause of discoloration by scooping up a jar or glass full of water - see if it settles out. Water than is stained from tannins will stay discolored. Water that is discolored from floating debris will get a clear layer as the debris settles.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Mine is too! Have had a LOT of rain and high winds which blew tons of oak tassels in. I was able to get a lot out of the skimmers but the water seemed to turn brown overnight! Here's a pic... P1000283.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
@rubyduby - yours looks just like mine! I was excited the tassels were done but forgot that next, the little doodle things that the tassels hang from will now fall. They look like weird little lollipops or something. Just like the tassels, they clog up the gutter guards and get in the skimmer basket grooves. They are just a mess!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Mine is too! Have had a LOT of rain and high winds which blew tons of oak tassels in. I was able to get a lot out of the skimmers but the water seemed to turn brown overnight! Here's a pic...View attachment 127991
'Oak dump' is my least favorite time of year. :( My water is like a good cup of Earl Gray until the early summer rains give me a nice water change & then - miracle of miracles! I can see the bottom! I've got some activated carbon that I just need to put into bags & place in the biofalls to hopefully combat it a bit but... otherwise, it's 'dark water' time of year in my yard. sigh... oh well. Fish seem happy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I've read about the activated carbon but someone on the koiphen site said that you have to make sure the water is channeled through it and that you can't just put it in the biofalls so I did not pursue it. Have you done this before BKH or are you going to try it for the first time? I would love to find out more about it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've read about the activated carbon but someone on the koiphen site said that you have to make sure the water is channeled through it and that you can't just put it in the biofalls so I did not pursue it. Have you done this before BKH or are you going to try it for the first time? I would love to find out more about it.
I've used it in the past & figured (then as now) that if the bag of it is in the biofall, a whole heck of a lot of water is passing through or by it & therefore it's gonna do some good. I skipped it last year & it was June before my Spring 'yuk' caused by pollen dump totally cleared. I'm hoping for an earlier clear this year. (it's going in tomorrow, so I'll let you know! ll)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I've used it in the past & figured (then as now) that if the bag of it is in the biofall, a whole heck of a lot of water is passing through or by it & therefore it's gonna do some good. I skipped it last year & it was June before my Spring 'yuk' caused by pollen dump totally cleared. I'm hoping for an earlier clear this year. (it's going in tomorrow, so I'll let you know! ll)
I am going to try it...Where do you buy it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Forget it...I just read that it takes 4-6 pounds per 1,000 gallons. My pond is about 19,000 gallons. That would be about 100 pounds of activated carbon! My back hurts just thinking of lugging anything heavier than my bioballs!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Forget it...I just read that it takes 4-6 pounds per 1,000 gallons. My pond is about 19,000 gallons. That would be about 100 pounds of activated carbon! My back hurts just thinking of lugging anything heavier than my bioballs!
Oh, yeah, I sort of forgot to think of your volume & what that would calculate out to in pounds of carbon. Besides the weight, it's not inexpensive. I agree that it's not a reasonable option for your pond. Mine's only about 3500 gallons, so one 15# bucket of the stuff does me fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Oh, yeah, I sort of forgot to think of your volume & what that would calculate out to in pounds of carbon. Besides the weight, it's not inexpensive. I agree that it's not a reasonable option for your pond. Mine's only about 3500 gallons, so one 15# bucket of the stuff does me fine.
Yeah, I wish my pond was a lot smaller and more manageable but it came with the house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
But what a wonderful thing to come with your house! And most people wish their ponds were lots bigger (me included) once they're finished. You got to start nice & big!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
it is a beautiful pond! Many of us would love to have it! Build a nice bog filter and you probably would get rid of the brown.
Can you tell I love bogs!

Ask a Question