brown water

Reaction score
Country
United States
My 850 gal ("all natural" - aka no filter) pond has had brown water now all summer. I have bought various things to clear it up - but none have worked. I finally had my pump returned from a neighbor and want to exchange some of the water. I bought some chlorine remover to use with the new (town) water. My neighbor (who had the pump - and used to have a huge pond) says I should NOT exchange the water at this time of the year. That the fish "need" the muck. I have (or had) 10 adult fish and now I see babies. My plants are the kind that weather-over the winter, and I keep the aerator going all year. I bought a white fish from a fish store 2 yrs ago - and its head appears to be gold-ish in color. Then I saw it "chasing" my other fish, and figured out it was a male. One of my other fish (I thought I had all goldfish) is white with a red head (aka "Lucy"). Then I saw a bunch of babies last year - and saw there were 3 different hatchings (because of the size of them) - and two were white with red spots. I THOUGHT that perhaps they were koi - and Lucy must have been, too. Then I read that all progeny from koi mixed with goldfish are sterile. But now I have more babies of that color. What do you think? a) should I exchange say 20% of the pond water now? or wait until spring; and b) These beautiful babies I am getting - are they koi? Perhaps Lucy AND the white one with a gold head are both koi? Thanks! Cathy Raphael, Newark, DE

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Look for whiskers on your fish. If they have them, they are koi. Do you have a buildup of leaves on the bottom of your pond? If they are koi, you will need to see about adding some type of filtration.

Ask a Question