brownish water

Reaction score
It seems a lot of peopel have "green" water, and a UV light sounds like the answer from what I am reading. My pond water is a sort of brownish - like diluted coffee. Should I get a UV light for that too? I have a soft liner pond. I do a 1/3 water change every other day, and I also just put some lava rock in my filter to start forming good bacteria. Am I on the right track?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
tannins are probably the reason for your brown water... you dont mention the size of your pond or filter size , are you using barley pellets? they are notorious for browning water.. even some lava rocks will color water red or brown. u.v lights are for green water algeas only, nothing else. there are many medias better than lava rock. some activated carbon will help with the color. put a old nylon stocking full in an area of good water flow. if you have alot of free floating suspended partcles put the return line from your filter into a milkcrate or laundry basket full of pillow suffing (fiber fill) or quilt batting suspended above the pond where the water will spill back in.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Hi MaryCat,

Early this last spring I also had a problem with dark tea colored water. I found out that it was because of the potting medium I was using. I was using regular bagged potting soil from the hardware store. Once I transplanted all of my pond plants into the recomemended medium, The tea color gradually went away. Also, I think it was the KoiGuy that recomended using pee gravel as a potting medium. I tried it because it is less expensive, and it works well also.

There are aquatic potting soil mediums available, but they can be a bit more expensive than pee gravel.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I quit using soils years ago when I discovered that the 250 yards or so of pea gravel in my driveway was perfect for potted water plants. I got tired of soil floating and the tea color it made my ponds. My plants grow so fast, I can't sell them fast enough. Trash cans full every weekend and I never use any fetilizer.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
I quit using soils years ago when I discovered that the 250 yards or so of pea gravel in my driveway was perfect for potted water plants. I got tired of soil floating and the tea color it made my ponds. My plants grow so fast, I can't sell them fast enough. Trash cans full every weekend and I never use any fetilizer.
Thank you for responding koiguy 1969, Dr. Dave and OldMarine!!
My pond is 1,150 gallons - soft black liner - two pumps, two filters and two hoses sifening water that goes back into the pond. My water was brownish even before I got the two water lillies and hyacinths. I have been told to put lava rock (in a nylon bag) inside my filter to build up "good" bacteria, so I did that three days ago. I also do a 1/3 water change every other day. I am only feeding my koi every other day (pellets, worms and peas). The amonia level after I test (daily) is lime green. I have two 18" koi and two 8" gold fish.
Do I need the ultra violet light? If so, why do some ponds need it and some don't. Might I need it forever?
Thank you for your time and expertise!!!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
UV is a subject that is highly debated. I don't use them and my pond is fine. It all comes down to how you manage your pond.

Ask a Question