building a 55 gal biological filter

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Give it time, I think they will eventually prefer the floating ones. For sinking food, try steamed rice, mine love it. you can't get a cheaper treat for them.

Reaction score
Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines
DrDave said:
Give it time, I think they will eventually prefer the floating ones. For sinking food, try steamed rice, mine love it. you can't get a cheaper treat for them.

Will do. Anyway I feed them both floating and sinking pellets, but they really scramble for the sinking ones. I'll try your rice suggestion. It's not only cheap here; it's abundant!! :icon_smile:

Reaction score
Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines
Julius Leonid Maestral said:
Will do. Anyway I feed them both floating and sinking pellets, but they really scramble for the sinking ones. I'll try your rice suggestion. It's not only cheap here; it's abundant!! :icon_smile:

You were right on DDave!! My crazy koi's are now scrambling for both the sinking and the floating pellets!! The only different thing I did was install the damn filter...... :D

Reaction score
DIY filters all the way for me (from now on).

My Bioforce 1000 is useless even in my 130G tank for 12" kohaku under QT. It works.. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0... I'm not even over feeding the guy. Water goes cloudy after 5 days. I even rigged the system with 3 gallons with of bioballs inside the tank with 3G water cooler bottle, attached to the outlet. So I don't even know if this filter that is supposedly rated up to 1000G can do job on its own with nitrogen cycle. Going to build smaller barrel filter for this system soon.

Reaction score
Alright. I'm going to upgrade my 130QT filter soon (currently using the deemed useless Bioforce 1000 - I think it works (not sure due to 3G of bio balls add-on but water turns cloudy in under 1 week).

The parts: 30G garbage plastic can, 25 bags of scrub pads, some bulkheads that I seem to have misplaced at home. All I need now is a 2" pipe and a few fittings and I'm good to go.

I'll keep the bioforce hooked up as a mechanical filter but it really blows. It gets dirty in 2 weeks. I can't imagine how that dang thing can be used for a small outdoor pond even without fish. Worse $200 I'd ever spent on fish products and I could have bought a Tetrapond 4000 for the same amount, not knowing another place had a major sale on them. :-(

Reaction score
bergzy said:
what would be the 'best' (subjective?) bio filter media? the scrubby pads or bioballs?

i am looking for something very long term. i am willing to sacrifice a little efficiency for longevity. the scrubby pads seem to offer much more bacteria surface area but i worry about them accumulating detritus and premature material breakdown. the bioballs have less surface area (thus less efficient), would trap less detritus and would seem to last forever.

so, i guess i am asking if scrubby pads are superior to bioballs overall...

I heard of poeple usig lava rock and one have and info on that?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
not to mention if something comes up and you have to move the filter, or even just disassemble it, i would imagine scrubbies would be alittle easier to handle.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The lava rocks have a lot of weight, and do clog,, and will be a lot more work to keep a good filter , running clean

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Sorry, you scrubbie guys...
Irrigation tubing, light, easier to clean, cheap and better than scrubbies. Plastic strap material works as good as the tubes. Every flush is like a new filter beginning without the loss of anerobic bacteria. Both superior to scrubbies for the previously mentioned reasons. There are actually several others I would use before scrubbies but you get the picture.
Scrubbies work, they are just way down on my first choices. The big koi breeders don't even use them. My friend who has 80,000 Koi in 30 ponds uses plastic as well. he only cleans his once a year, but his is the size of a big truck.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
scrubbies are plastic, perform well..mine have been in use over a year never cleaned flushed or anything else and still work as good as day one. and yes i said NEVER been cleaned and dont appear even slightly clogged...so no need for apologies!!!

Ask a Question