Building a 8'x10'x5' deep pond into basically solid rock 6" under ground

Reaction score
Something is wrong with the forum on how it counts images. It thinks there are 5 when there are 4 so I can only do 3 in the above post. This happened to me before also. Why do we have this limit anyways?

IMG_3048.jpg

IMG_3049.jpg

IMG_3050.jpg

IMG_3051.jpg

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Aviator
If there were not limits, we would have people taking all the bandwidth posting hundreds of pictures when a careful selection is generally better. More is not better unless every picture tells a story the previous one didn't cover.
And then there is cost.

Reaction score
Im not complaining, I just thought it shouldnt matter sense they are hosted on photobucket as when im at work I cant see any of them sense my work blocks photobucket. I will try to pic more carefully from now on, but just fixed the rock that was covered in calcium. Got most of it off with a grinder with a wire wheel. May pick up some CLR and a better wire wheel not this harborfreight junk that nearly takes my eye out evertime I use it (yes I use glasses, but when one of these hits your arm it is still scary to think if one hit your eye).
Then I placed it a bit better. All will be concreted as needed to make it smooth.
Man its hot out. These are the view from my back sliding door that goes to the wood deck.
IMG_3056.jpg

IMG_3057.jpg

IMG_3058.jpg

Reaction score
WOW! While I am envious of the rocks (all I found was a couple smaller than my fist when I dug my hole) I am not envious of the work! Even digging through a sand/clay mix, I used a lot of ibuprofen that week. I can sympathize with waiting for a pond though. I have been waiting over 2 weeks to fill my pond as I bought a pump on ebay to pull water from our dug well to fill it, it was defective, sent it back and now am waiting for a replacement. I'm at a standstill waiting. :)

Reaction score
Just an FYI. inline pics using IMG tag only consumes bandwidth from the persons pc viewing the image (on photobucket) and won't have any impact on Gardenpondforum server since it sent web page with IMG tag (which is very small requirement for bandwidth)

Reaction score
Thats what I was saying. Most forums have a limit per post, just never had one limit to only 4. I dont care either way as I know this is a smaller forum so no big deal.

Reaction score
Aviator..... your progress has been amazing! I'm so excited for you the end must be coming soon and then you can sit back with a beer and say "ahhhhh" that's the best part of doing it yourself

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It looks good..at least you can use the rocks that you dig up

Reaction score
Thanks,
I guess I won’t have it done before I leave at the end of the week for NC, but im taking all of next week off and will be coming back like Wed. so will have a good 4 days to work on it. My biggest fears now are doing the liner as it so awkward of a shape and I hopefully I bought a big enough one, but I know it will be close so its probably going to be a lot of placing, filling, draining, moving, filling ect over and over to get it right. I will first lay tape and glue the rubber sheets that I found to make it a safe area to work, then use the underliner on top of that. Then once done I have to figure out how the liner will be held to the rocks at the water line. Assuming some EPDM roofing adhesive will work, then I cut it to the height of the water level and hope for the best. Ideally I gut it higher than the waterline and then I will glue some thin flatrock ontop of that to hid it so when the water height goes low it doesn’t look like crap. To start I just hope I have enough it I can just hang the extra over the top of the rocks and have the actuall water hold it in place to get an idea of what to do next. Eventually add something to keep the water level up anyways. Also im thinking there will be some many folds in it that once finally done I may want to use some tape on it to smooth it out. Supposedly you can get the tape at ABC roofing supply.

Reaction score
I tried to edit this into the last post but took too long...
I know this is not the conventional way of doing a liner but it there is no reason it shouldt work in theory and because the water level is above ground and the rocks are not smooth and the fact that I do not want to put flat stone on top of the rocks with the liner inbetween, I have to do it on the inside of the actual pond.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If you ever have a serious error that requires editing, or something you want to retract and your time has run out, DrCase and I have the ability to edit any post, no matter how old it is.
This includes deleting posts that are not in the best interest of the members or the spirit of this forum.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
If you ever have a serious error that requires editing, or something you want to retract and your time has run out, DrCase and I have the ability to edit any post, no matter how old it is.
This includes deleting posts that are not in the best interest of the members or the spirit of this forum.

DrDave, good. delete this account. notifications keep coming to my email address.

if you can't do it, please ask an administrator of site. i've asked, but it appears this account remains active.

thanks,
- r
:banghead3:

Reaction score
roscogruen said:
if you can't do it, please ask an administrator of site. i've asked, but it appears this account remains active.
There are settings in the control panel to stop that. I can't remember what the defaults were here, but some forums assume you want an email every time someone replies to any thread you've posted in. I suppose that goes back to the transition from email lists. Fortunately, you can turn this "feature" off.

Ask a Question