Building a bog garden

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wanna start building my bog garden but I don't understand the concept. If the bog garden is 2ft. deep and I only put 2in. Of peagravel in it how is that going to hide the tubing in the bottom? And some of the plants will rot in 2ft. Water

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
In your case you are putting in close to 2 ft of pea gravel or at least 18” depending on the design of the bog not 2”. You can also create high and low spots in the bog depending on the type of plants you want to put in.

Did you read addy1’s bog thread, if not it is stickied at the top of this forum. She gives a detailed description on how to build a bog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@Parrot lady We are currently building a bog as additional filtration to our already existing koi pond. We're planning on at least 12 - 18 inches of pea gravel. We're currently stuck on how best to raise the bog's edge to get the water flowing back into the pond. Here is the link to my bog thread, so you can see some pictures.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Parrot lady - do read more about bog filtration before you start. @Tula 's build in progress will help you understand the whole process as will @addy1 's bog thread.

I don't know where you heard or read "2 inches of pea gravel" - maybe someone meant "the TOP two inches is pea gravel" with the remainder being layered with larger gravel or even small boulders.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1571586518475.gif
@Parrot lady Nice to meet ya!
You are smart building a bog. Wish I would have long ago when I built my pond.

Ask a Question