Building a brick pond

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is my first post so be gentle, i am looking at building a brick pond with concrete blocks as the inner wall and faced with normal bricks, i am hoping to use a flexible pond liner to line the pond. Has anyone done this that can pass on any tips or ideas, i have seen people using 2 rows of concrete blocks dug into the ground by about 2 foot then backfilling with concrete, some people build a 6 inch concrete base then building straight on top of this, some people using steel ties to hold the bricks together, i have read that much i am now confused

I am not building a massive pond just about 2m by 1m with a depth of about 80 cm. Any help, pictures or guides will be really appreciated!

John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have 2 ponds w/block walls. One pond has 1 block high on one end them goes to 3 blocks on the other. It has a footer of concrete 4" deep and 16" wide.
the reason the footer and blocks are stepped down is because it is on a hillside.
The other pond is 8 blocks high with about 2 ' above ground. the footer is 8" deep and 16" wide.It has 1 vertical rebar in an each block. Horizontally it has 2 rebar in the 3rd block up, 2 in the 6th block up and 2 in the top course. All the blocks are dry stacked and glued with liquid nails. When the liquid nails dries I fill a blocks with concrete.
Yes you do need a footer. Just to keep it level.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
rebar is one step id take even if i thought it uneccessary...better overly strong than not strong enough and finding it out when the ponds up and running. especially if your in a freeze / thaw enviroment...speaking of which you should go to your profile and post your location and agricultural zone if possible

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't think so but i would at least do the top course using bond beam blocks with two 3/8 rebar around the top.
jmelbourne said:
Will i need re bar for the size of pond i am planning?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have a 3 block high pond and it sits on a 4" x 12" footing ,
i did add rebar every few feet and wire webbing between the joints
every thing is mortared together and filled with concrete
And i did use a 45 mil rubber liner inside it
You want it strong and dont want to worry about ice causing problems later

Ask a Question