Building a container pond

Reaction score
Hello guys I'm about to start my first container pond. I plan on buying one of those 110 gallon TuffStuff stock tanks. Anyway what kind of filtration should I use on this? I'm planning on keeping some goldfish and plants in it. I've been looking around and seen this. Would that be a good thing or should I just buy a pump and make the filter? If so is this design good? If I do that what size pump should I get? I've found these: 1, 2, 3. The only thing with this is that I'd have to disguise it somehow. Has anyone ever made a waterfall on a container pond? Sorry for all the questions I just want to get this right :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Are you putting the tank part in the ground or all the way in the ground or all the way out of the ground .On my tank I put in one of those hand crank pumps like they have at harbor frieght .com .Makes for a rustic look . My filter is a filter stuck in side of another tank with plants insde it to disguise it and then the water gets pumped into the hand crank pump and back into the pond .But maybe you could just put a pump in your pond with a foam filter insde it and the only thing you would have to do is clean the foam filter every 2 days or so .I changed mine this year to the other way and I will see how it works .If not I will go back to the pump in the pond iside a small crate with lava rock around the pump and a hose up to the hand crank pump .That way worked fine for mine last year and water was nice and clear ,but I had another stock tank I got at an auction and wanted to use it for something .I just can't find a way with this new setup how to hide the hoses for this and not happy with it the new way so may go back to the old way .Sometimes changes are not a good thing LOL

Reaction score
I was planning on keeping it all above ground and maybe somehow put rocks around the outside so that it doesn't look like a black tub. I'll have to look at those crank pumps it sounds cool.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Here is a pic of my 300 gallon tub. It's completely above ground but it get's very hot in the summer. I think when I move I'm going to sink it in the ground some to help cool the water a little in the summer as this is my QT tank when New fish start showing up.

Attachments

• fall pics 2011 036.JPG
    fall pics 2011 036.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 330

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I like that fishin and how did you do the sides I can't quite see ,the top I know I can build ,do you have a pic from the side .I may want to do that with my extra stock tank .It is an old fashioned round stock tank ,they told me at the auction they made them round back then like the galvinized ones ..This one is heavy as heck though .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Cheaper than retaining wall block plus you could make the surround a little bigger and put foam core insulation around the tub and then build the wood sides and even raise the pond up higher if you wanted too .Lowes has good submersible pumps and so does harbor frieght .All you really need is a small one This is the one I got from harbor frieght and it comes with the foam filter inside the cage and a lot of different fountain heads .Even the foaming head that helps aerate the water .

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Todd and Sissy I added a couple more, this is the pond I made the filter for last year. I'm going to be using this pond to cycle the new pond when we move everything over. The wooden sides I just framed up around the stock tank and added the 1" x 4" to it to enclose it in.

Attachments

• Gen.IITrashMaster 007.JPG
    Gen.IITrashMaster 007.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 310
  • Decking trapdoor 001.JPG
    Decking trapdoor 001.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 360
  • Decking trapdoor 003.JPG
    Decking trapdoor 003.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 364

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Larkin you gonna put it all back together the same way w/ the same boards and such when you move? That's such a neat looking set up you created!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
No JW, I'm actually not sure what I'm going to do with it. It's way to heavy for two people to move, It's got some rot in the back, and I'm thinking about using the stock tank for something else. That's been the QT tank for the last four years, I think I'm going to set up a smaller hospital tank and a larger QT tank of seperate filtration systems. I really want the QT tank where I can see the fish closely and catch them this time. The stock tank that is in there may actually become the filter for the new QT pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sure glad it is you moving not me, don't want to do that anytime soon again.

Ask a Question