Building a new koi pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hello,

I have just started to dig out my pond. It will be around 8'X11' and 1200 gallons. It will will have a 3' waterfall that will divide into two streams, one will empty into a small pool before falling into the pond.

I plan to have a skimmer, UV filter, Waterfall filter-should i have a pressurized filter here? If so, should it go between pump and waterfall?

I plan to have an aerated bottom drain to a gravity fed filter, then to a pump to go out to tangent returns.

Could I have one pump handle all of this?
Where would be the best place for a UV filter? I know some pressurized filters have them.

Also, do I need a settlement tank, if so, where.

Thanks for your help!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I think you probably need one pump in the bottom of the skimmer that goes to the waterfall. I personally would use a pressurized filter in between the two and then not worry about a filter in the waterfall itself.

I'm assuming the gravity fed filter is below the pond level. I think if you're pulling water from the gravity fed filter you'd need something to account for the potential difference in how fast the water is pulled via the pump versus how fast gravity draws water--but I'll admit I'm not very knowledgeable in this area.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The skimmer and BD can be plumbed to the same pump.
A settlement tank is highly recommended when using a BD. It should be placed between the BD and the gravity fed filter.
An additional pressurized filter would be a nice addition especially if fish load may be a future problem, otherwise it is just extra filtration.
I would eliminate the tangent returns. They are not indicated on this size pond, which BTW, is small for a Koi pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Ala and welcome to our group. It sounds like you have caught Koi addiction as well. I did a quick calculation and it looks like your pond is going to be about 2 ft deep. I would recommend to go a little deeper if you are going to keep Koi. There are a lot of advantages for a deeper pond. There are many threads on GPF that will explain why. Re your filters it doesn't really make a difference if they are on the same pump for the waterfall or not. I would probably recommend more than one pump to get the waterflow you want. Good luck and I recommend to post some pictures of the build under the pond construction heading. A lot of people will be happy to give you suggestions about specific problems.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! You’re at an exciting point in your new pond life!

Let me just second the warning that 1200 gallons is small for koi - you’d be limited to a few fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Sorry, my calculations were off, it will be 36-40" deep with a one foot shelf. Gallons will be around 1600.we are planning to have only five or six koi. thanks everyone!

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I'm in your same boat with a 1,400 gallon pond and 9 koi.
As long as your water parameters remain good. My "plan" is to rehome fish later on....Or start digging again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
welcome to the group and hope you'll post pics of your developing project! :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
we are planning to have only five or six koi. thanks everyone!
Welcome to our group!

Like said above your 5 or 6 will become a lot more as they spawn. Unless you manage to get the same sexed fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I really thought I had found a removed all the eggs and well that did not work .About 30 baby fish and maybe more .Got rid of almost 20 of them but the darn things keep showing up in my pond .

Ask a Question