Building a New Pond

Reaction score
I have a concrete pond that was here when I bought the house almost 8 years ago. Its only about 5 ft. across and maybe 3 ft. deep. There were a few gold fish in it when we moved in and now I have 2 koi and 3 goldfish in it that have been there for about 5 years now. I've wanted to make it bigger somehow since we got here but haven't really had the time or money. So, I have decided its finally time. I have some questions, though. I have started digging already and I want to make a pretty large pond that is about the shape of the pond here:
make-streams-and-waterfalls-for-the-koi-pond

But I want it to be about 3 ft. deep and maybe 10 or more ft. long. I need to know the best way to line it where I won't experience leaks. Is there a way to use 2 liners if I need to? Can just a portion of the pond have cement or some kind of cement? I want the pond to be big enough to where I could sit in it with my son if I got a wild hair (not that I would, just that I want it to be that big). I'm not sure how to go about doing that after I spend all that time digging. I just don't want them in that small pond anymore. It will probably be used just for plants once this one is finished. I will post pictures later.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
johnson5326 said:
I have a concrete pond that was here when I bought the house almost 8 years ago. Its only about 5 ft. across and maybe 3 ft. deep. There were a few gold fish in it when we moved in and now I have 2 koi and 3 goldfish in it that have been there for about 5 years now. I've wanted to make it bigger somehow since we got here but haven't really had the time or money. So, I have decided its finally time. I have some questions, though. I have started digging already and I want to make a pretty large pond that is about the shape of the pond here:
make-streams-and-waterfalls-for-the-koi-pond

But I want it to be about 3 ft. deep and maybe 10 or more ft. long. I need to know the best way to line it where I won't experience leaks. Is there a way to use 2 liners if I need to?
Better to go one 45 mil liner and GOOD underlayment, Underlayment is slightly sheaper than liner and has some better protection against root and backside rock damage.

Can just a portion of the pond have cement or some kind of cement?Yes it can, But you need to provide more detail as there is a lot of variable there, if it holds water it could be a plant pond that leads to a larger pond for the Koi.

I want the pond to be big enough to where I could sit in it with my son if I got a wild hair (not that I would, just that I want it to be that big). I'm not sure how to go about doing that after I spend all that time digging. I just don't want them in that small pond anymore. It will probably be used just for plants once this one is finished. I will post pictures later.

Think bigger than sitting in for Koi, Goldfish would do great with plants, Koi get BIG and eat plants, This could really be used to a great advantage.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are you wanting part of the new pond to be cement? of the the little old pond be cement the new pond liner. The new pond just have it be a liner like fishin says, with underlayment. The way you ask that question was a little confusing it would be hard to attach a liner to a cement pond.
I have never had a liner leak, the stuff I use survives deer hooves, darn things come though every now and then lol.

Reaction score
I got the picture to load! Okay, so what I want to do is make the pond go from where I was standing to where the tree line is to the right, up next to the blue pool (that's where the slider turtle is, who will be getting put in a new big pond soon), then run along the gazebo/well house. The hole is started next to the wagon. I want it to be at least 4-5 ft. in some spots but it depends on the pine tree roots. This really is the best spot in the yard and I know that the fish will do well since its right next to the old pond where they've been living for about 10 years now. I know now what I need as far as lining it. I just have to get the hole dug. I am doing this by myself so it will take a few weeks or so before I can finish. I will post pics as I go. Hopefully I canhhave this finished by the middle of June and make my fish happier. I'll keep their pond now as a backup and for frogs and plants.

Attachments

• 100_3893.jpg
    100_3893.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 308

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
It is possible to use your first pond as a small upper pond then have it water fall or strem into the liner pond, Not really that hard to do. As for the 5 ft depth, You want your bottom to slightly slope to the lowest spots, 5' I would recommend either a bottom drain have to cut liner at the bottom or retro fit bottom drain(Not cut hole in liner). The primary bottom should all slope to that spot or if you wish even having two bottom drains then split the slopes between the two.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
johnson5326 said:
Here's my terrible outline. I did it with the paint bucket.

You have a nice looking pond there, lol! Did good and that is going to look great.

Reaction score
Thanks. It took me such a long time to color it all in. lol It does look like it slopes in the pic. but it really is a very slight slope. Plus, the liner around the cement pond goes out a few extra feet and then there's a separate layer of that thick green and black material that is almost impossible to remove without the right tools (which I don't have). So this is where I am. I thought of maybe putting a bridge up and fixing the gazebo. The well went dry a few years ago so now its just decoration. But I would like to paint it. I am adding a pic. of the work I did with my son and all the rocks. That's what I want to connect with our rock path and pond on that side of the yard. The little area around the bird bath has irises and hostas now. I just haven't taken a pic. of it in a few weeks since everything came up and I planted more. The rose tree is also blooming right now.

Attachments

• DSCI0067-2.jpg
    DSCI0067-2.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 288

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That will look really nice! Keep posting build pictures

Reaction score
Sure thing. I got hit really hard with a sinus infection yesterday and when I tried to dig today I thought was going to pass out. So I waited til after dark and worked on it about 30 min. BUT while I was shopping in between I thought of the perfect transition from the pond to the path. I want to take the space between them to put up one of the patio sets and gazebo that look so great. Here's what I like:
0003461365407_500X500.jpg

http://fp.vendaria.com/vpop/VpopVie...&bg=FFFFFF&nm=BZOpener&err=0&title=&pf=t&fr=t

Reaction score
My son says the fire is for s'mores. It will be nice for when we have company and I don't want the other kids running through my house. There's always at least 20 of em to invite to anything we do because of our big families.

Ask a Question