Building a pond for nursing home residents.

Firediver57

Firediver 57
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am new to the site but I am trying to get the word out about a project I am working on. The local nursing home has residents that have some reason why they can't leave the secure areas of the facility. Even if they could there really isn't anything close by that they can enjoy that is nearby. There is one area in the middle of the complex that is "building locked" meaning it is surrounded by buildings and all residents are allowed in it. What we have proposed is to build a Koi pond with acrylic panels in it so the residents can see the koi while in a wheel chair. It will also have an enhanced area of plantings and a garden bench to allow the residents to do some gardening if they are able. It will also have a built in waterfall to make the sounds that are soothing and relaxing. If you would like to learn more about it go to the website www.indiegogo.com and search for Koi Pond for Mary Gran Seniors. (Its a Facebook page too) There is a video there on the Indiegogo site that has pictures and drawings of the plans. You can help by getting the word out to others. My wife's father is there and when he is at our house he loves to watch the Koi. We are trying to make a pond for him and other residents of the facility to enjoy. Please help if you can.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome, and boy does this sound like a great project and reminds me of a large scale Boy Scout Eagle Project! (We just dealt with that over the summer, LOL!). Now I need to check out the sites you noted.

I recall that a year or so ago there was someone on here, from the UK, I believe, who was making a pond with "invisible walls" (my term). As I recall, that turned out well, but there was so much to consider over & above a regular pond.

Firediver57

Firediver 57
Reaction score
We have an advantage in that there is a company here in our area that makes the panels that are used in the public aquarium business. 3" thick 4 X 10 feet big. They also have experience in installing them and are loaning us knowledge. I did the design and had the engineering checked and verified by a local engineering school. It should be awesome. When you see the pictures you will have an idea. The other aspect is the depth. Overall it will be 5.5 feet deep but from outside would not appear more than 4. But it will give the koi plenty of room to swim and grow. The the other cool aspect is the step down falls. Water will inlet back to the pond 2 and half feet over the main water area but will drop 6 inches over four little stepdowns before going back into the main body. UV clarifiers will ensure the water is crystal clear. It should be amazing. We are excited - just hope to get the funding. Thats why we did the crowd funding. I have heard they work so we gave it a shot. Hope you enjoy what you see.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your project sounds wonderful, good luck with everything. It will be beautiful

Ask a Question