Building a Pond in Chicago Area - Advice Gladly Taken

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I will try to find it locally so the pond build can go after this week vs. waiting on a shipment. How deep did you bury your plumbing? I presume if I want to try to run the pump all year, I should bury the plumbing at least 8-10". Or, maybe running the pump/waterfall all year in Chicago is not realistic.

We went as deep as was practical, but it's no where near 8" under ground. Maybe 4" tops. And we run our waterfall all winter long - have for four winters now with no problem whatsoever. Consider your waterfall carefully though to make sure you won't create areas where the ice will build up and re-direct water out of the pond. Our falls ice over completely, but the water is still flowing underneath.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Consider your waterfall carefully though to make sure you won't create areas where the ice will build up and re-direct water out of the pond

That wasn't terribly helpful. What I should have said was make your waterfall as wide as possible to allow for ice to build up without damming. Narrow spaces will freeze faster creating water diversion which you definitely don't want to deal with in the middle of one of our Chicago winters!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Forgot to add the pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 228
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 202

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
  • So it begins! ^^ got the layout, now need the shovel

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Assuming the hose is of the appropriate diameter, is it acceptable to use flexible PVC hose (schedule 40) that is intended for spas? I am in Chicago so I will have the cold weather as well. I have read online that some seem to think insects may eat this type of hose.

This hose may be better for curves I need to make toward the waterfall.

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am chicken, we hard plumbed all lines. Have not lost any, and they are exposed . I pull my external pump for the winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We have rigid PVC to our waterfall and it's buried a few inches below gravel, for easy access...actually the stones are larger than gravel, but still small. We have flexible PVC from skimmer to filter.

We do not run our waterfall in the winter months. I'm excited for your pond build :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Today we when all in on digging the hole. I have an amazing amount of soil to make use of now! We has to use a pick axe on clay we hit at about 2'. The pond is 8.5' long and 7' wide at the top or near the waterfall, and 6' wide at the bottom or near the skimmer. As we start digging, we got creative with the depths. This was really interesting and we may make some tweaks tomorrow. (At least, my wife will direct me as to what tweaks to make!)

We have a 20'x20' liner; so we should be OK to make minor tweaks. We have a roughly 12" to 16'" wide shelf along all of the left side that ranges from 12'' to 14" deep. The bottom section (near the skimmer) is 24" deep and the top section ranges from 30" to 36". I am estimating the pond will be 800-900 gallons. I may go down to 48" completely across the section that is 30" to 36". I am trying to only dig this pond once so now is the time to go deeper.

I have the largest section of the berm built as well.

I also ran the plumbing for the waterfall and skimmer. I need to dig the hole for skimmer and finish the coping shelf "cutout"

Really happy with the scale of the pond so far; it does not overpower the yard. Just the right size.

Hope to be completed by Saturday.

Attachments

• IMG_1642.JPG
    IMG_1642.JPG
    275 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_1643.JPG
    IMG_1643.JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1645.JPG
    IMG_1645.JPG
    283.5 KB · Views: 276
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Did more work this evening. Dug hole for skimmer filter. Also finished the cutout for the coping edge. Hope to have the underlayment and liner installed tomorrow night. Saturday more at latest. Here are some pics. Including the dog!

Attachments

• IMG_1645.JPG
    IMG_1645.JPG
    283.5 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_1648.JPG
    IMG_1648.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1646.JPG
    IMG_1646.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1647.JPG
    IMG_1647.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 224
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for this. I'm in the Western Suburbs. I'm planning a pond for a year or two from now and want to follow your progress.

Where did you source your rock from?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Thanks for this. I'm in the Western Suburbs. I'm planning a pond for a year or two from now and want to follow your progress.

Where did you source your rock from?
Glad I can help. Will most more pics soon. I sourced the rock from Lake Street Supply at 1810 W Lake St, Chicago, IL (on Lake just east of Damen)

Ask a Question