Building a pond on a slope

Reaction score
Hello guys
Am looking into building a pond, but my garden has a slope?
has anyone had the same problem or know how to get by this

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum
You will need to build a wall out of blocks or wood .
When you say slope ...How much are you dealing with ?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Please go to the User CP and add your location.

You will get a lot of sound advice here. Post some photos of the area and try to be specific with your descriptions.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wish I had a natural slope. They make a great place for a nice waterfall and stream

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Me too, you have to make sure that you do not get runnoff into the pond from the slope. That requires a little effort and planning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Ketan07, Make sure that if you are putting your pond towards the bottom of the slope that you raise your sides sufficiently so that runoff from your garden doesn't go into the pond. All the chemicals and fertilizer from your garden/lawn are very harmful to fish. It's usually easier to put the pond on the higher side of the slope so you don't have to deal with runoff. You have to weigh things like how much sun it gets, and proximity to trees when you pick your location, as well as the best spot you can easily see the pond. I went for the shadier part of my yard (4-5 hours of full sun) so I had to build on the lower part of the slope.

Reaction score
Hello.... i will upload some pictures of the site soon
I am planning on starting off with a small 150 gallon pond.
Can you help me with what kind of equipment i would need, because am unsure of what kind of filter will be sufficient. I have 3 baby koi right now around 7inchs.....when they grow bigger i will up grade.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The pics will help a lot .
Are you thinking preform or a liner ?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It is not going to take long if they are already 7". You might want to consider larger. If the 150 is a preformed, use it as a sump for bog plants or above for a waterfall/filter reservoir.

Reaction score
Right ive uploaded a picture......is this helpful at all?
Where would be the best place to locate it.
I was think liner as i can dictate the shape to my liking

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 2,596

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
what about where the gravel is ? hard to tell how big that space is or what might be under it ... i also have to say 150 gallons is way to small for koi that are already 7 inches

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I think that clothesline could be moved to the gravel area and the center of that lawn could be a great start. We all know that everyone wants bigger right after making it too small to start with. LOL
The entire area could be landscaped and made to look like a natural pond with the right plants and rocks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's hard to know which way the sun is, but you definitely don't want full sun all day. Also you don't want a lot of leaves from your bushes falling in. I would suggest in the back corner in front of the greenhouse. The back looks like the high side of the slope. Maybe there is room in the greenhouse to keep your biofilter or other equipment. Also the fence and greenhouse might help give it shade. One more thing 150 gallons are way to small for koi. It's recommended 1000 gallons for the first koi. Your pond will be suffering bio overload before you know it. If you are not committed to the koi I would switch to goldfish. They are cuter anyway!

Ask a Question