Building a Raised Pond

Reaction score
I am thinking about building a supplement to an existing 5000 gallon freshwater pond. Since my current pond is in the ground, I have given some thought to building the 2nd pond in a raised bed with brick walls.

I have never built a raised pond before and am hoping that someone out there can offer constructive advice.

The 2nd pond will be relatively shallow with a maximum depth of 2 feet. One foot would be below the surface of the ground and the 2nd foot would be above ground.

Question #1: Would a single layer or mortared brick be sufficient to retain the above water section of the pond ... or would I need a double layer for added strength? The pond in question will be 10 feet long by 6 feet wide.

Question #2: I have paving stones laid in my backyard. I plan to remove the paving stones needed to excavate to a depth of one foot. In terms of building the brick wall, do you think I should remove additional paving stones so as to pour a concrete foundation for the brick wall or do you think I could get away with mortaring the brick on top of the existing paving stones?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
my upper pond is raised,,,2 ft above ground level ,,,i did put a small footing...made it with concreet blocks mortared together, with rebar and wire webbing...were you live and only going 1 ft above your pavers.....i would put a double row of mortared brick,,on top of the paver....the wide row will make it easy to cap the pond

Reaction score
my above ground pond is about a 5'x5'x2' high box on my patio...i made it out of wood...stained the wood and sealed it
coast2coast7390

coast2coast7390

Ask a Question