building a second smaller pond for sound

Reaction score
It seems ponds serve a number of functions. I'm building a second small pond expressly for the purpose of the potential masking effect of the waterfall. We have a major highway about a mile distant. At times, the traffic noise is very loud and, to me, annoying. The current pond makes quite a bit of delightful sound, but it's to the left side of the backyard and the traffic noise comes from the right side.

I bought a small 125 gallon preformed shell at lowes on sale for $48. I set it in the ground with the top slightly above soil level. I bought a second one with a hole in the bottom for $12. I cut the bottom out and then took the remaining side and attached it just below the top of the existing shell using cotter pins through drilled holes to increase the overall height as a splash guard.

On the ajoining fence posts I will mount a small shelf 3 feet above the water. there I will put an Atlantic Fastfalls 14 in waterfall unit. I'll connect it to a 1600 gal/hour pump that'll put out about 1000 gal/hr at that head.

I'm hoping the splash will be contained by the spash guard, but if not I will lower it as needed. The other thing I'm hoping is the sound will mask the highway noise. I will take some pictures when it's done. If it works, I'll surround it with stones and plants.

Reaction score
sounds like a cool idea cant wait to see it built...have you thought of building something to reflect the sound back towards the highway...like a brick wall or something...you can then cover that with plants or wood to hide the brick...but some sort of sound barrier will help alot

Reaction score
Received the pump and fittings. Started up the pump, but wasn't happy with the sound of the water dropping straight in. Not loud enough and monotonal.

I was once told that the way to increase waterfall volume and variety of sound was to make the water change directions.

so, I bought 15 concrete blocks and a mess of river rocks. I built up the concrete rocks in a staggered fashion and placed the river rocks on them to create a pseudo waterfall. Didn't work well. The concrete blocks were the 4X8X16 and were hard to stabilize.

So, next I'll substitute 8X8X16 blocks which will be much more stable. I may need more river rocks too. I'm also going to raise the waterfall unit up another foot. We'll see how it goes.

IF it works out, if the volume of sound and variety are satisfactory I have contacted a company in Seattle that makes artificial rocks. I've designed one that is three feet tall, leans forward and can contain the fastfalls. I haven't received a bid yet, but if it's reasonable I'll buy it and that should round out the overall look. I'll send some more pictures as progress continues.

Attachments

• 2nd Pond 6 for pond forum.jpg
    2nd Pond 6 for pond forum.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 366
  • 2nd pond 4 for pond forum.jpg
    2nd pond 4 for pond forum.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 394
  • 2nd pond 5 for pond forum.jpg
    2nd pond 5 for pond forum.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 351
  • 2nd Pond 1 for pond forum.jpg
    2nd Pond 1 for pond forum.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 373
Reaction score
I already have a little fish spitter than adds nicely to the overall sound in the main pond. I'll enclose a photo.

I tried a fountain, but it didn't add much.

No, the reason for the second pond is noise abatement or masking. I'm afraid I may be tilting at windmills though because the darn highway noise is loud at least in the morning. I'm having fun though playing with the pieces and parts. I've only got about $200 in it so far.

BTW, if this one doesn't work out and I decide to give up on the idea, does this forum have a place to sell lightly used pond parts? I'll have to check.

rw

Attachments

• Spitter for pond forum.jpg
    Spitter for pond forum.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 337
  • spitter for pond forum 2.jpg
    spitter for pond forum 2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 362

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
you can put a rock out crop in your pond, that the water fall hits ,it may change the sound

Reaction score
A rock outcrop. Hum. If low enough to contain the splash, it might add quite a bit of sound. The 4th design I'm considering is to build up cement blocks in a square and then pile the river rocks inside the square and let the waterfall flow into them. The rocks will be partly submerged.

1st WF has a brooklike sound. And really, the volume is pretty loud, particularly with the added fish spitter. It's just not quite as loud as I'd hoped. For that matter though, I plan to rebuild it next. It is 15-20 degrees from parallel to the house now, so I hope to achieve more like 50-60 degrees so we can both see and hear it better.

Truth is, I like to tinker and experiment. I'm beginning to realize that's half of what I'm doing with this second pond. I really enjoy trying new things. Like how you place rocks in the stream bed completely changes the "melody" of the water. It's fun moving them around.

Attached a few pictures of 3rd design for 2nd WF--trying to create a little bit of a streambed effect. I found an 80# slab of thin rock today, 18 in. wide and 4 ft. long ($22).
Built up cement blocks at the far side of the shell and laid the slab on the blocks and the support for the fastfalls at the other end. Took what river rocks I have and stacked them at the bottom end. Not enough to go all the way up, but I should be able to see if it'll work with just these. Some of the water will fall off the sides on the way down to the rocks making one kind of sound. And when it hits the rocks there'll be another. I may have to work tomorrow, but I hope not--I'm excited to see what this design will sound like.

See what you think. I'll take photos tomorrow with it running and better light.

Attachments

• 2nd Pond 3rd phase 3 for garden forum.jpg
    2nd Pond 3rd phase 3 for garden forum.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 350
  • 2nd Pond 3rd phase 4 for garden forum.jpg
    2nd Pond 3rd phase 4 for garden forum.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 347
  • 2nd Pond 3rd phase 5 for garden forum.jpg
    2nd Pond 3rd phase 5 for garden forum.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 397
  • 2nd Pond 3rd phase for garden forum.jpg
    2nd Pond 3rd phase for garden forum.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 333
Reaction score
Designer minds think alike:icon_smile:. I was concerned about that last night as I was looking at the photos. Hooked it up today and amazingly enough, the water all goes inside the splash guard, but just barely.

Sound is much nicer, louder and streamlike. My wife wants me to buy more river rock and run it all the way up the slab. I'm thinking if we do this we may have to leave a spot for the water to contact the slab without hitting river rock first or there'll be too much splash.

Also plan to move all the bigger rocks at the bottom of the slab because i"m concerned that they are sitting partially on the splash guard which flimsy and only supported by 8 or 10 cotter pins.

Finally, if things seem to be working out I'll buy enough more air rock to surround the front. Nice thing about air rock is you can lift a rock the size of the one in front by yourself.

Attachments

• 2nd pond, 3rd phase running 1.jpg
    2nd pond, 3rd phase running 1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 314
  • 2nd pond, 3rd phase running 2.jpg
    2nd pond, 3rd phase running 2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 359
Reaction score
D&RW said:
Designer minds think alike:icon_smile:. I was concerned about that last night as I was looking at the photos. Hooked it up today and amazingly enough, the water all goes inside the splash guard, but just barely.

Sound is much nicer, louder and streamlike. My wife wants me to buy more river rock and run it all the way up the slab. I'm thinking if we do this we may have to leave a spot for the water to contact the slab without hitting river rock first or there'll be too much splash.

Also plan to move all the bigger rocks at the bottom of the slab because i"m concerned that they are sitting partially on the splash guard which flimsy and only supported by 8 or 10 cotter pins.

Finally, if things seem to be working out I'll buy enough more air rock to surround the front. Nice thing about air rock is you can lift a rock the size of the one in front by yourself.

yea they do cause im always fixing up my pond

what is air rock made out of...ive never heard of it before

Reaction score
I tried to respond to the last post. Must have gotten lost in cyperspace.

Agree with previous poster. I was concerned about overflow out of pond. but it didn't. In any case, I rearranged things a bit and am trying them out. Haven't had much of a chance yet to check out the sound. but the water flow is good.

notice that I disassembled the frame on the fence and substituted a built up cement block format. It'll be a lot easier to "hide".

rw

Attachments

• Pond 2, Phase 3, design phase 2-3.jpg
    Pond 2, Phase 3, design phase 2-3.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 335
  • Pond 2, Phase 3, design phase 2-1.jpg
    Pond 2, Phase 3, design phase 2-1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 340
  • Pond 2, Phase 3, design phase 2.jpg
    Pond 2, Phase 3, design phase 2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 291
  • Pond 2, Phase 3 guardian.jpg
    Pond 2, Phase 3 guardian.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 347
Reaction score
Air rock is a kind of stone found naturally. I'll ask where it comes from when I go by next to pick up more of it. It's very rough surfaced and light. A bit expensive, but very nice because you can pick it up and move it yourself.

Notice my guardian--daddy's girl. she helps with all my projects. Very patient and she has great ideas.

rw

Reaction score
Oh, forgot to note that I added two layers of 1/2 plywood under the rock slab because I was concerned it might crack under the weight of the accumulated rock on top of it.

rw

Ask a Question