Building a Swimming Pond in Florida Woods

Reaction score
Country
United States
I began digging a small shallow pond by hand (15 feet by 12 feet) last year. I hit a thick clay layer and could go no further. My (helpful but overly enthusiastic) uncle offered to help excavate it but got carried away and now I have a 9 foot deep pit with piles of clay around the edges. I would like to make this a pond that is deep enough for taking dips but I do not know what I should do about the vertical edges at this point. The plan was to make a oval pond with a ring of aquatic plants and just have a place to wade into and relax at some point but now I have a giant muddy pit.

What are your suggestions? I want to use the clay to seal it at some point but I do not have access to any heavy equipment. I will post pictures of my situation when it stops raining and I can get out there.

Info: The top soil is 1 foot deep, under that is a foot of super saturated sand, and under that is the clay for as deep as I have gone. It is grey clay with red and blue mixed it, gravelly in some areas and smooth in others. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well the rain may help you out .You can check how fast the soil absorbs the water .Remember you do not want a swamp or mosquito pit

Ask a Question