building an indoor pond

Reaction score
I've had my outdoor 1700 gallon pond for ten years but an otter recently cleaned me out, two large koi and about 30 goldifsh gone. What I'd like to do is scrap the outdoor pond and get an all season room added to the house and build an indoor raised pond. Anyone out there have an indoor pond and want to share their challenges/designs?

Any pictures would be helpful too. Thanks all!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Reaction score
Thanks MitchM, I am in Massachusetts. I was thinking of the glass sunrooms (the type sold by Champion or Bruin). I figured heat/humidity would be a major factor due to the Greenhouse effect so I was thinking of having a retractable shade and an automatic venting system that was thermostat controlled (if there is such a thing). I was also thinking of tying it into the A/C and heating system in the house but have double doors or a screen door leading out to it to control any smell associated with it, I don't want the house smelling like a fish store :)

Reaction score
I have two small ponds at the front of house, its almost like a courtyard with little to no wind in that area. There is a distinct 'pond/water' smell there on very still nights. It maybe because I wash the filters out in the gardens (good fertilizer). Its not a foul smell, just a wet smell.

Your idea sounds great. I have seen a show on HGTV (I think) where they added a pond to the middle of the house and there was a lot of talk about controlling the humidity. I guess it depends on how much humidity you start out with to begin with.

Good luck with your plans! Keep us updated.

My next pond will be enclosed as well, probably just with screen.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
This is a picture of the doors to my attached greenhouse this morning.
I have an indoor aquaponics setup plus a covered tropical aquarium that gives off a lot of moisture.
Mind you, it's a bit cold here this morning (-13F) Moisture will collect on a cold enough surface and exchanging air from the outside can be a problem with heat loss and ice buildup.

Mark (koiguy), do you have a way of exchanging fresh air in your house?
I use a heat recovery ventilator (HRV).

IMG_6262.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I had a large indoor 220gallon imperial koi tank and ran it for 22 years indoors before going outside and managed it quite well as long as my bad legs held up but in the end we decided to move outside for ease of cleaning.
As long as you plan out all the logistics etc then you shouldnt have a problem with it , we wish you the best of luck with your project and hope it works out well for you

dandv03.jpg

dandv01.jpg

dandv02.jpg

Dave

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Someone here made this kind of a screened in area for their pond. I saved the photo but forget who built it again of course. I just love it!
pond cover idea.jpg

Reaction score
I love the screened in pond! That damn otter got underneath a pinned down net several times so I'm not going to take any chances. To keep the (proposed) room from smelling I planned on doing frequent small water changes, over provisioning the filter system (I've been looking at the Nexus EazyPod), getting an oversized dehumidifier, and getting a separate cooling/heating system just for that room so it doesn't circulate the air throughout the HVAC of the rest of the house. Did I mention I'll be in the poor house from building it .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How about a nice secure fence? Dug down under ground one or two feet, then up xx feet. I don't think otters can climb fences.

To stop ground hogs, I buried some fencing a foot, slightly angled out and went up 3 feet. No more ground hogs in the veg garden.

Reaction score
Thx addy1, I'm definitely leaning towards an indoor pond, I've had a family of northern brown water snakes living in the pond and one really big black rat snake... those guys already put me over the top, the otter was just an extra kick in the pants :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I don't mind snakes, no otters here. I have a large rat snake hanging around, about 6 feet of so. We have so many moles, mice I rather have the snake than not.
My main battle is the heron.

Ask a Question