building basement pond-- ideas and tips from experts needed

Reaction score
[Sorry-- just realized after the fact that I posted this in the wrong section of the forum, but I can't figure out how to delete the post now... So, I'm sorry for that.]

Well, we have ordered some "remnant" Firestone EPDM liner from pondscapeonline.com. We got it at quite the savings because its an irregular size from the end of a roll. So we are going to be working with a liner size of 15' x 7'. So, that should make for an interestingly sized pond... lol We don't have access to any old carpet for insulation (wish we had saved our old carpet from last fall when we tore it up) so, I'm looking for any cheap ideas regarding that. Is insulation necessary/ recommended? Is it suggested to build an actual box for the pond, or let the liner rest on the basement floor, if we don't have insulation material?

Thank you to those of you who have posted tips/photos/directions etc. of building indoor ponds on the forum. We will be using a skippy-type filter that we are making from a oval stock tank, (http://www.tractorsupply.com/livest...es/stock-tanks/oval-stock-tank-40-gal-2229846) like ones that are used to feed/water animals. So, the sides aren't exactly as flat as a rubbermaid stock tank, but it's what we have, and we think it will do the job. We have our dollar store sponges, scrubby pads, etc, (3 different kinds) that we think will make good media, so I think we're good on that respect. We figure if it ends up not being large enough for the filtration we need, we have a used food-grade 55 gallon blue barrel in storage-- we can always create another skippy filter to plumb into and add on. We will be hooking up our Oase Neptun pump (can't remember if its the 1600 or 2600 model-- believe its the 2600 model) up to the skippy filter. So, the filtration and water power should be excellent.

I'm hoping I can get some hints and tips from those of you who have built indoor ponds and/or built their own filters before. Hoping I can learn from some of your mistakes and "happy accidents." Thanks in advance for any help! :lol:

Reaction score
We will also be putting another pump: a Tetra 550 with a rectangular pre-filter and fountain head into the pond as well. Both of our pumps are coming in from the outside pond.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
ACTUALLY ... the stocktanks like yours have much more flat surface to work with than the rubbermades have. as far as your liner, thats sounds like a good liner for a stream. my 14' by 14' 20 mil liner cost me $40.00 ...ive had it for 3 years, it still has the factory folds in it. theres no need to insulate the pond unless you plan to heat it. so... i guess you can build a 10'l x 3'w x 18"d pond = 425 gals. in the basement theres litte or no U.V exposure so u.v degradation is not an issue. if youd like a weir for your filter instead of just a pipe spilling the water back into the pond. i have a few on hand...
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/waterfall-weirs-diy-filters-t5243.html
heres a pic:
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2226&d=1270233041

Reaction score
Hmmm koi guy... That's an interesting idea... I will pass those wier pix on to my husband and see what he thinks about them.

Do you think with our "over"filtration that the fish load will be okay with such a smaller gallon volume than they're used to?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
oops..i figure your pond at 2' deep...330 gals is more the correct volume at 18"..... P.M. me if you decide to go with a weir.....good luck

Reaction score
OK! Came home yesterday to find that my husband had built the pond while I was at school-- ! So, the deed is done. He used the L x W x D x 6.23 formula that we found online and figured that the inside pond is 467.25 gallons. He went ahead and insulated the walls and bottom with some green-type of sheet foam. He is building the "skippy-style" filter today, I guess. Our basement has flourescant lights on the ceiling already, so he just moved one of them so it is situated above the pond. Pond water was rather mucky, so he put in 50% pond water and 50% new well water. The well water raised the temp from 40 to 44, and I have read that it's supposed to be less than a 10 degree difference when moving fish, so I think we're good there. He stood (YES, actually STOOD) in the outside 40 degree pond water for almost an hour yesterday afternoon...:lol: (man is crazy!) to catch the fish and my 13-year-old son ran them in the net downstairs to put them in the pond one at a time. We left the lights off in the basement all night to give them time to adjust. Temperature of the pond was 48 degrees this morning. We didn't feed them, but figure it would probably be okay to feed them a little bit this morning, if the temperature of the water is over 50 degrees.

What does everyone think? Any suggestions?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I make sure the water temperatures are within 1 degree of each other before I transfer them. If I am going from cold to warmer water a few degrees is ok. Using 10 degrees as your guide, in my opinion, is tempting failure.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if your pond is square or rectangular the formula is L X W X D (depth of water, not pond) X 7.48 (theres 7.48 gallons in a cubic foot)
so if your pond is 10' long (inside) 3' wide (inside) and water is 2' deep your ponds volume is 448 gals.

Reaction score
I wouldn’t feed ‘em for a couple days, then go with a spring/fall low protein food and then very lightly. Give the koi and the bio filter a chance to adjust.

If you can, shoot a video and post it on you tube so we can see whats happening!

I'm into my second winter with my indoor tank and its working very well.

[ame]
(video taken tonight)

[ame]
(video taken 12/2009)

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Did you take photos of your bio filter build? If so, you could add them to the DIY section for others to see how easy it is to build one.

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

I made another video...with commentary and posted it on youtube! I do a walk thru of sorts, giving tips and ideas on setting up a indoor koi tank for people that live in Northern climates.

[ame]

Mark

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Nice Video!
Did I hear "Inna Godda Da Vida" in the background? Iron Butterfly did that song and their lead singer and I went to HS together.
Dave

Reaction score
yep, had radio on in back ground. It was the long version, hadn't heard in long time. Wish I was thinking, could of turned it up a little.

Ask a Question