Building Low-Cost Patio Pond - Filtration Options

Reaction score
Country
United States
The snow is finally melting on the East Coast, so I'm now starting to think about building a 110-gallon patio container pond. I've located a heavy-duty plastic stock tank for $70 and plan to construct a modern looking cedar wood surround using some leftover materials from another project. My question is about filtration. I have always had fish -- I currently have a 75 gallon salt and 30 gallon goldfish tank -- and I have a bunch of filters lying around that are not being used. I'd like to repurpose one for the pond, but having never had a pond before, I'm not sure if it would be adequate. The one I'd like to repurpose is an Eheim Professional 3, which is rated for aquariums up to 160 gallons, and has a maximum flow rate of 330 gph. This filter works fine as a filter, but it has been a thorn in my side since I got it. It was expensive and has leaked almost from the start. It is a common problem, but Eheim is ignoring customer complaints (including mine). So, the filter has been just sitting around unused. The good news is that my husband has managed to fix the leak using a YouTube video by someone in Germany who had the same problem. However, I don't trust the filter inside on my hardwood floors. However, outside would be fine. Can I safely use this to provide adequate filtration for a 110-gallon patio container pond? I don't want to overstock with fish. I'm thinking a total of 5 fancy goldfish would be my goal. Thoughts?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You could get those in pond filters .I had a tetra filter box in my smaller stock .It is just a small rectangular box with filter rock you put on the bottom and then put pump in and then put 2 filter pads on top .I have the 300 gallon one with a canister filter with built in 9 watt uv .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Will you be keeping the stock tank pond on a patio ( under a roof) or in the open?

I don't see why you couldn't use this filter but I would think you should keep it protected from the weather.

Do you live somewhere that the fancy goldfish could stay in the pond all year?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum and good luck.

Fancy gold fish may be a bad idea on the east coast, I live in RI and they would not survive here outside, they would have to be taken indoors (which you may be planning to do already seeing you have fish tank). They really do not like temps much below 60 degrees. After the reviews I would not trust that filter myself. It sounds like it will work for your needs by the specs of the unit but use at your own risk. It sounds like your not trusting the fix either if your worried about it indoors. I would rig up the filter so if it does leak, it can't drain the entire container. It would not take long to do with that size container. Good luck with the patio pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Check out this video - the patio pond the Pond Digger built for a client reminds me a bit of what you are describing. He added a bog filter to his. It's a multi-part video series, but I am just linking to the one where he shows you how he installs the bog filter (I hope anyway! I've never tried linking to a video here!). The whole series is pretty interesting though:

Ask a Question