Building Structure over Pond

Reaction score
Has anyone constructed a structure over your pond? Pictures? I am thinking of building a Japanese style structure over pond, to keep out sun and rain and predators. I am thinking of either a sold roof or something like a trellis or pergola.

Does anyone have experience with the wood used and leaching into pond when it rains? I am thinking of cedar. Could this cause problem to water quality?

Thanks,
Bruce
Seattle

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have been planning on building a pergolla with grape vines over mine. Rain is good, so I would not block it. Cedar would be fine, don't use pressure treated wood.

Reaction score
My mother took 4 cement filled bases, put some poles in it, and swagged material over the pond then took xcess material on either end and wrapped it around the poles to disguise them and planted plants around the base to hide those! It turned out to be a great addition to her pond garden because the fabric softened the look and gave it a new texture also bringing the eye higher. We eventually added hanging butterfly's with fishing line hat we took with a needle and simply sewed them in. They were lovely when the wind blew through the garden.

Reaction score
I just recently added a "cover" to my pond. I was given one of those screened in tents used over picnic tables. I just set it up and then moved it over the pond. I also hung some windchimes and decorations inside under the roof. I like the look and hopefully it will help accomplish my goal. I am trying to create more shade to kill off the algae that has taken over my pond.

Reaction score
I am planning to build an arbor over 80% of my pond, I get so much sun that the algae bloom clogs my dreaded filtering system. I'm also considering adding a "skippy" filter. I need to know if I add a "Skippy", do I still need to change/clean my filter in my skimmer (as that is why I want a skippy)? Hope to have the arbor in place by next week. I'm using rough cut cypress, with no treatments (paint, varnish, laquer, etc.) I guess this will last til I'm gone...

Ask a Question