Building your own skimmer

TgM

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6a
Country
United States
Was thinking of trying to build my own skimmer next spring.

Right now I have two in pond skimmers each on 1800 gph. pumps feeding my skippy type filter. My pond is 17 X 14 (raised 16 inches) square, approximately 5000 -6000 gal depending on where you do the calculations. They work fine but thought if I could maybe improve the labor aspect (as they are on the corners and not so easy to reach or clean out) and increase the flow.

I was thinking about adding a 3x3 or what ever I need box to one side (I've read about attaching liners together) and just dropping about the edge of one 2x8 four to six inches for 3 foot or whatever the inlet is. Inside the box placing the my leaf baskets (some type of 2X3 baskets lined with matala pads and placing my pump behind it (thinking about trying a Laguna sissy talks about). I've got a while just thought I'd get some advice/ideas from someone who's done it.

I'll try to attach a sketch of what I'm thinking in a bit when I get time.

Thanks

Reaction score
look up Waterbug he has instructions with pictures that sounds just like what your thinking.

Ask a Question