Bull Rush plants

Reaction score
Country
Malta
hi all

i have some bull rush plants in my pond - i noticed that the leaves are turning brown as if plant is dying - is this normal for winter period

thanks for all the assistance

Jeff

Reaction score
Country
Malta
plants are in pots and have been planted for few months now - am not sure if its normal or whether they are dying - maybe they need re potting ?

kindly see pics below for reference

thank a lot for your assistance

20161225_104316.jpg
20161225_104304.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Bullrush (Scirpus sp.) are not only fast growing plants they are also deep-rooted plants usually having a minimum of 14'-16' root depth in soil.
Considering these two characteristics of this plant, my first impression in that you have it planted in too small of a pot and it has quickly become root-bound and is slowly 'strangling' itself. I would suggest that if you want to retain this plant that you plant it directly in between the rocks in your pond. Be warned, this is a fast growing plant that can overwhelm a small pond.

Reaction score
Country
Malta
thanks for your assistance - i'll try to re pot the plants in about 35cm deep pots and a bit wide - should leaves be above water level - is it ok how they are shown in pics ?

thanks once again

Jeff

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Very aggressive. Will spread beyond pots, regardless of pot size. Invasive, but manageable in a lined pond. Sweet Flag is much more manageable.

If not established, or wholly desired then think about replacing. Jmho.

Ask a Question