Bullfrog in Austin Texas

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was tired of wasting water adding it to my swimming pool, so I converted pool to a pond. I have a small filter with waterfall to keep the water aerated, and I added 10 shiners about 4 years ago. Pool is now a haven for all types of animal life, and I do nothing other than keep pond pump functioning. Several generations of toads have used the pond to reproduce, countless minnows, and now a bullfrog recently found my pond. Bullfrog is eating the toads (4 lived in the pond, two were killed and I relocated the other two that showed obvious signs of being in the frog's belly (partially digested rear legs)). I have countless dragonflies, birds, squirrels, toads, and now a bullfrog. I'm so happy that I converted pool, and I am surprised that the pond is thriving with very little effort on my part.

Pic shows bullfrog on floating planter with a couple of toads (one killed by frog, one still alive). Apparently, frog eats toads and then spits them out alive after a bit (maybe toads are too big?). Frog is hard to photo as it is very timid and submerges when I get close, but I managed to capture an image, sorry about the quality. I rinsed off the living toads and relocated them to a rock pile in the corner of my yard.

Attachments

• Bullfrog2.jpg
    Bullfrog2.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 267
Reaction score
Country
United States
Toads have a complex mix of poisons in their skin, not the nicest snack, for sure
I suspect that is exactly why they were spit out, thanks for the heads up. Digestion had mostly just left their skin red and raw.

For what its worth, long ago my children caught a bullfrog swimming in the pool before it was a pond.

Attachments

• Bullfrog3.jpg
    Bullfrog3.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 221

Ask a Question