Bullfrog or Green frog?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States

One of my medium sized frogs, not sure what kind it is?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Easy way to tell them apart - Green frogs have those raised ridges running down their back behind their eyes (dorso-lateral ridges) Bull frogs don't have them. (so yes, this one is a Green frog)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Green frog.

As BKHpondcritters said, Green frogs have those ridges behind the eyes that go straight down the back on each side.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Easy way to tell them apart - Green frogs have those raised ridges running down their back behind their eyes (dorso-lateral ridges) Bull frogs don't have them. (so yes, this one is a Green frog)
Awesome!! So glad to hear that, thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
In my case, the bullfrog is about the size of a kitten! So it's pretty easy to distinguish.

He hasn't really been a nuisance, though. I'm pretty sure he eats my goldfish fry, but I still have at least 20 in my 1,000 gallon pond so he's really helping to keep the population in check.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
A few months ago I was walking outside in the dark, wearing flip flops, and felt myself kick something (not hard, just bumped it with my foot). It felt like a half-flat soccer ball or something, which was weird because I don't have any soccer balls!

I turned on the flash light to see what it was... yep, it was this huge bullfrog! lol He was fine, just giving me an offended look like, "sheesh, what'd you do that for?"

He hangs around the pond, but it's in the fenced in back yard where my dogs go so he usually stays pretty well hidden. I'll grab a pic for you the next time I see him, though :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Bullfrog, yes? This was a night pic, but it's the only time I ever see him! This is the guy that's definitely longer than my hand while sitting, so probably 7" long from head to butt in this picture

Attachments

• 20190726_230453.jpg
    20190726_230453.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 141

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My green frogs are never that big, it sort of looks like a bull frog. Does not have the prominent ridge down the back.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree with addy1, it’s a bullfrog. I have quite a few in my pond, but never see them as they stay hidden during the day. There are at least 2 males in my pond, can hear them at night, calling for females.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I like the guy, and I've seen 2 or 3 little frogs around that are the same color so I THINK there's gotta be a female around somewhere. That might be too many, though, and I'm not quite sure how to think the herd...

I wasn't sure if he was a bullfrog because of the ridge, either, but his legs looked like the pics I'd seen. Thanks for confirming it for me!

Ask a Question