Bullfrog White bloated eyes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any insight into what is going on with my 8-10 yr old bullfrog's eyes. Is it a parasite, bacteria or too many hot dogs. My other younger one is fine. Hoping he isnt blind. Lives in 3500 gal natural garden koi pond.

Attachments

• 20180529_175201.jpg
    20180529_175201.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 401
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome @Kyokochinadoll , I am by no means an expert on disease in animals (especially in frogs) but cloudy eyes in fish (and frogs) is almost always an indication of an infection. Now it would be hard to say if it's a parasitic infection or bacterial infection so you may want to seek professional help at a veterinarian. Maybe others will chime in soon that may have more experience with frogs and or illness/disease in amphibians.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Any insight into what is going on with my 8-10 yr old bullfrog's eyes. Is it a parasite, bacteria or too many hot dogs. My other younger one is fine. Hoping he isnt blind. Lives in 3500 gal natural garden koi pond.
Are you actually feeding the bullfrogs hotdogs? Is it kept in a tank or out in your pond?

One cause of cloudy eyes is over feeding and too much fat in their diet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Are you actually feeding the bullfrogs hotdogs?

OHHHHHH! Hotdogs! I read that as hot dogs - like dogs that were too hot and I was like how in the heck would overheated dogs affect a bullfrog? Haha!

Your frog looks like he has cataracts. Is there such a thing?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you actually feeding the bullfrogs hotdogs? Is it kept in a tank or out in your pond?

One cause of cloudy eyes is over feeding and too much fat in their diet.
Oh no! I started feeding them pieces of hot dog off the end of a stick so they would not eat my 6" koi. I had 6 frogs, so i was concerned about ample food supply. But you are correct, they are obese. I bought them at a chinese grocery store, sold for their legs. Health laws changed so now they kill them before leaving the store. So sad. I rescued 6 red eared sliders destined to be turtle soup. They are killed now too. Now the younger ones eyes are infected and he stopped eating, perhaps he cant see the food. I isolated him in some clean water. Last time i put some human medicated eye drops in his eyes. It really helped. What else can i feed them? Or should I let them search the yard at night for food. The hot dogs have made my koi large as well. Im a bad frog keeper. But i sure do love them in my pond and waiting for me to come out and feed them. I will call a vet tomorrow. Wasnt sure if i should put in a bath of what you treat koi parasitic and bacterial infections. Thanks for your input. Im selling my home if someone in sacramento wants them. Not sure new owners will even want the pond and large koi. Thanks so much.

Ask a Question