Bullfrog Winter Prep

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
Canada
She's trusting little girl who's probably grown 4x her size since we noticed her hanging around our pond since Spring. Our pond is about 3500 Gallons with a good portion of it 4-4.5 feet deep. We have lots of Koi and goldfish.

At some point as the temps drop, we stop the waterfall, put the bubblers about a foot below the surface and float a heater for good measure. Our fish have been pretty successful over-Wintering with our setup.

Just wondering if there's anything extra we can do to make our Bullfrog more comfortable for the coming Winter? I suspect she'll go dormant at the bottom of the pond, there are a couple of spots down there she can hide from the fish. Just wonder if any of you do anything to improve the frog habitat in your pond, particularly for the Winter months?

20190915_172527.jpg
20190915_172513.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't do anything and any that stay are alive in the spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I love the pictures of her !! I've never done anything special for my frogs and sadly, I have had a few die over the winter...usually if they go inside the skimmer, but the majority of the time they're just fine :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Never had a bullfrog here but plenty of other smaller type frogs. All do fine here w/o messing w/them. Doesn't get real cold here for long tho.

Ask a Question