Bullfrogs eating fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I throw this picture out whenever the "can a bullfrog eat a" whatever question comes up. This is Mr Bigg. He lived in our pond for a few weeks one summer and caught at least one bird a day. Some he ate, some he had to spit out. I watched him stalk this one - I was shocked when he actually caught it. It explained all the dead birds we kept finding! They remind you of a lion when they are moving in for the kill - quite the hunter!

Mr. Bigg.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I throw this picture out whenever the "can a bullfrog eat a" whatever question comes up. This is Mr Bigg. He lived in our pond for a few weeks one summer and caught at least one bird a day. Some he ate, some he had to spit out. I watched him stalk this one - I was shocked when he actually caught it. It explained all the dead birds we kept finding! They remind you of a lion when they are moving in for the kill - quite the hunter!

View attachment 132886
I've seen one stalking a bird but never seen one catch one. What a fascinating photo op!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Our pond is right up against our house, under our bow window. So whenever we have a genuine bullfrog in residence, it is readily apparent. Their deep, loud voice is heard loudly enough, that we must close those adjacent windows and turn up the TV at nights. LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oh my @Lisak1 , that is an incredible picture ! I found a dead bird floating among the lily leaves the other day and it's the first time it's ever happened. Coincidentally we have this " larger then our normal " frog in our pond....who seems to have a penchant for the swimming pool too ! I tried for a good picture last night, but it was trickle...he was strong and almost jumped from the pool net several times.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup. That Bully is legendary at our house. I would not have believed it was possible had I not seen it with my own eyes. We've had others over the years that have wiped out the green frog population in our pond, but never another like Mr Bigg. And it started with finding dead birds in the pond. I was like "are they falling out of the TREE? Is there a NEST?" It was so confusing!

Nature is quite the thing!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Tula Agree with bkh, looks like a juvenile bullfrog.

It is crazy what they can eat, have seen them eat snakes, other frogs, mice, birds, turtles. I have seen them unsuccessfully try to catch fish in my ponds. Only thing I’ve seen get the big adult bullfrogs are hawks, even herons ignore the big ones....

Never Give Up Poster

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well, Mr. Big ( copied that name from @Lisak1 as it's so appropriate ) has grown huge ! This evening I found him in the bog trying to stuff a poor bird ( which died ) into his mouth ! He is so fast, and leapt into the pond. I want to catch and relocate him !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
OMG, I caught him and he was huge ! I put on my LL Bean LED head lamp , found him in his favorite spot, turned the light on him and he just sat there! My daughter helped me wrangle him into a bucket and find a lid...we then drove up to the near by church (where bible study was just letting out - we probably looked like kooks !) and released him in their small lake which also has a natural stream.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Glad you got him. If you find more fish missing, look for his cousin, or if plants are getting knocked over, the masked bandit trash pandas. Or if you see injuries, perhaps the heron that missed the frog.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
OMG, I caught him and he was huge ! I put on my LL Bean LED head lamp , found him in his favorite spot, turned the light on him and he just sat there! My daughter helped me wrangle him into a bucket and find a lid...we then drove up to the near by church (where bible study was just letting out - we probably looked like kooks !) and released him in their small lake which also has a natural stream.
What someone is holding church services!!!!!!!! hold the press. Call the cdc . Cnn. Msnbc . Call the French, English, German, Japanese, governments. Thats not a peaceful protests where torching police cars and buildings is safe and holsome. Bible study thats being extremely self centered. How dare they.

ITS SO GOOD TO SEE PEOPLE WAKING UP . TAKE PRECAUTIONS SURE. BUT ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I assumed bullfrogs didn't eat fish. I'd never seen any frog hunting underwater and they don't seem set up to be very good at it.

But I wasn't sure so I did some research. Many websites said they do eat fish. But to me these sites seemed to want to tell an interesting story more than convey info, so I kept going. Luckily there've been many studies done. Here's one done on Vancouver Island. To me this was much more interesting.

The sample was about 5,075 American Bullfrogs over 5 years. 473 stomachs were empty and removed from most of the results, which to me doesn't seem right. I don't know what their thinking was exactly. But still 4,602 frogs is a lot.

2.8% of the frogs had fish in their stomachs. That's 129 frogs out of 4602. If you include the 473 empty stomachs, which I would, it drops to 2.5% of frogs.

Where it gets interesting (to me) is that it varied from site to site. At more than 70% of sites no frogs contained any type of fish. Not sure if this means fish were available at all sites or bullfrogs taught each other how to catch fish and will learn to speak in the future and ultimately hunt humans, Planet of the Frogs. My assumption is there was some opportunist reason like water being shallow enough that fish were breaking the surface, but that's a pure guess on my part.

Clearly bullfrogs can eat fish. But to me "can" and "do" are a bit different and everyone would have their own opinion. I personally would say bullfrogs are not very good at eating fish, although possible. I doubt bullfrogs are chasing down fish, but maybe some future study would show they do. None of these studies showed how the fish are being caught.

For a backyard pond I would think it's even less likely a bullfrog would eat any fish and extremely unlikely they could eat all fish in a pond. But that's only my opinion.

excellent survey, but in my opinion the bullfrogs attract snakes and the snakes eat the fish. And the frogs. I know there is a Ribbon snake out by my little pond. Hope he likes mosquito fish because I think all the frogs have already been consumed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have at least one large bullfrog
Big J 02.JPG
(most likely others that I don't see regularly), numerous green frogs of all sizes -
big frog little frog 01.JPG
a resident (small) northern water snake
Nessie returns 01.JPG
And a host of other snakes (garter, rat, copperhead) that hang out in the garden & around the pond. Yes, the snakes eat some of the frogs & toads. I sort of think that's a good thing, otherwise we'd be up to our armpits in amphibians around here. Nessie (the water snake) might have to be relocated if she hangs around for another year or two, but until then she's more than welcome to help control the population of tadpoles.

If I lived in a less rural area, perhaps I'd be more concerned with helping to protect the wild prey from the wild predators, but right now I'm just seeing a balance in the natural populations. My fish, for the most part, are too large for a frog or snake to eat. I do lose the occasional fish to raccoons, but I simply can't control everything that happens out in the yard. If I tried to, I'd drive myself crazy & the pond would become a source of worry & stress, rather than fun & relaxation.

The only two critters that I have relocated from my pond since it's been up & running in 2012 are (a couple years ago) one decent sized snapping turtle (he was destroying my water lilies and, I'm sorry but I like my toes!) and last week one full grown copperhead that showed up in my skimmer basket. :cautious: (If he weren't venomous, he could have stayed, but... he is)

And yet every year I have my fish, and plenty of frogs, toads, lizards, snakes, birds & other forms of wildlife hanging around who seem to be able to strike a natural balance, and I love seeing my wildlife as much as seeing my fish.

Ask a Question