Bullying? Spawning? Need some opinions/advice please :)

Reaction score
Hi! I am new to this forum and need some opinions/advice.
I have had my koi pond for about 4 years. It is 2000 gallons with falls going into it. Anyway - I have had these 2 large koi for the last year (one is all white), as well as many babies. So yesterday I went to the koi store and bought 3 new koi. One of them is large like the 2 I already had. The other two I bought are 1/2 the size of the large ones. Anyway - they all seemed to get along fabulously last night and when I went out there this morning, all 3 new fish were bullying the heck out of my large white one. The poor thing was running all over the place and they were just all over him - all 3 at the same time just pushing him around and beating him up. He looked so stressed it was freaking me out.
So I called the koi store this morning and told the guy - he said they are spawning and evidently the white one I already had is a female and the new ones are males. I asked him are you sure they aren't just being mean and territorial? And he said no he truly things they are trying to beat the eggs out of her.
So do you guys agree?? I have had this koi pond for 4 years and several fish and come and gone, but I have never seen this happen so it kind of freaked me out. I am afraid they are going to kill the poor thing today. THANK YOU!!!

Reaction score
Thanks! I am scared to death I am going to get home from work and find the poor fish dead. Ugh. Hopefully they are leaving her alone now. Appreciate your opinion!

Ask a Question