Bump on my goldfish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
So, it seems that a couple of my goldfish have small bumps. This picture is of a small, slightly raised, orangish bump on my white comet. Another comet has a kind of lump or mass in the tail. I know it's hard to tell very much from pictures but does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 332
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Must probably a missing scale , I'd need to look at the tail also to have a look at diagnosing that please

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
That's quite possible. This one has taken a lot of beating during the spawning season. I'll see if I can get a tail picture tomorrow. Nighttime now. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
That's quite possible. This one has taken a lot of beating during the spawning season. I'll see if I can get a tail picture tomorrow. Nighttime now. Thanks.
Sometimes they get what we call dings in the tail where they have hit an object and it sort of pushes a part of th tail outwards into the other sideleaving like a large white pimple which if it is this should after a while disapear on its own but photo first timvz then I can say for sure or not :)

Dave (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Tail photos attached. Thanks again, Dave. I think it kinda looks like the "ding" you describe.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 283
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 293
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 318
Reaction score
I think this is tumours. It is usually similar to warts. I think you should consult Veterinarian, he can say exactly what is it...Because if it is tumour, then, it is surgically removed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Tail photos attached. Thanks again, Dave. I think it kinda looks like the "ding" you describe.
Yes as I thought your goldfish has what we call a ding in that its hit the tail against an object that has pushed the flesh out on one side of her tail it will get better on its own, the ray is most probably broke but will given time heal .
Carol I know you wish to help timz but please tell me why on earth you think this is a tumour it looks nothing like it
We have over 27 years experiance in fish keeping and yours is please ?
Even if it was a tumour an experianced senior aquarist could quite easily anethatise this fish and remove that section of the tail which would grow back again given time with no harm to the fish, nor more importanly any expensive vets bills.
Carol I dont know how many years you have been fishkeeping but there are very few fish vets in the world they are expensive to use, with the rest of the vets having little or no working knowledge of goldfish or koi especially here in the UK.
So I'm guessingthat its in reality most probably the same in the US and Canada .
In the UK we have a duty of care to our pets minor operations are carried out by experianced fish keepers all around the world ourselves included .
But you need the skills to carry out these proceedures anethetics use, identification of Parasites, pathogens, protozans virus's,etc,
We have to learn how to use a microscope do minor operations and when the time comes euthaizing fish the harmless way with an overdose of anethetics.
It comes with many years of experiance. much reading on the subject , learning from our mentors and practise and that learning is still on going with each new inovation form of new treatment or new medicines.
New books come out periodically and need to be read and assessed then knowledge gained learned
Do you know that a koi well looked after can reach 80+ years or more and a goldfish 40+ years they dont get that old on their own and need a hand every now and again from us the fish keeper "a case in point our two oldest koi have been with us since the start and are now 27+ years old I add the + because you dont exactly know how old they are when you buy them

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Thank you both. My main concern was/is to establish that there are no contagions. If tumor, I don't think there is anything I can realistically do, other than observe and perhaps painlessly euthanize someday if it looks like the fish is in pain. There is no way I can justify a fish vet. So, I'll keep an eye on them and see how things go. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you both. My main concern was/is to establish that there are no contagions. If tumor, I don't think there is anything I can realistically do, other than observe and perhaps painlessly euthanize someday if it looks like the fish is in pain. There is no way I can justify a fish vet. So, I'll keep an eye on them and see how things go. Thanks again!
Tim please believe me when I say its a ding in your fishes tail and as far away from a tumor as you can possibly get with time it should heal on its own however there may be a slight bump left it being a long tailed fish.:)

Dave ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Thank you, Dave! I tend to agree. And, the other spot on the white comet has healed up. You were correct about that one too! Thanks again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
wow great to know. I saw a little tiny line like that on one of my goldfish last night, I'll take a look today if it looks like a ding or something else.

Ask a Question