Bumps on Goldfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
One goldfish in my pond has developed two small bumps on his/her body. No other signs of distress, all other fish seem fine.

Any input appreciated.

Attachments

• FishBump.jpg
    FishBump.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 46
  • FishBump2.jpg
    FishBump2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score
Country
United States
It could just be a benign tumor. But, I have a couple of questions that might also lead to a possible explanation. Are these newly introduced fish? Did you just do a large water exchange? Have you fully tested your water? How many gallons is your pond and how long has it been cycled?

Reaction score
Country
United States
No new fish, the one with the bumps is one of the original five that were first added to the pond. Then, there were newborn fry. So far all healthy looking, fry are a few months old now.

Roughly a 700 gallon pond, biofilter system, maintained. Beneficial bacteria (Aquascape powder) added each week.

Have not tested water. I do a 1/3 drain and refill every 3 months or so plus autofill to adjust for evaporative loss.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As long as your system is fully cycled, it shouldn't need more beneficial bacteria. The system produces it's own and that would have started on day one.

The types of bacteria that are necessary would be dead and useless if they were powdered. They wouldn't survive that process of being dried.

What beneficial bacteria are you using?

Reaction score
Country
United States
As long as your system is fully cycled, it shouldn't need more beneficial bacteria. The system produces it's own and that would have started on day one.

The types of bacteria that are necessary would be dead and useless if they were powdered. They wouldn't survive that process of being dried.

What beneficial bacteria are you using?
I am using Aquascape brand beneficial bacteria. My pump and filtration system is all Aquascape.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply. That bacteria is used to control the amount of sludge and muck that accumulates on the bottom of the pond. Do you have a problem with that?

A pond vacuum works well too, better in my opinion.

Reaction score
Country
United States
No real sludge / muck issues. A new pond (about 1 year old). When we had it done the builder told us to add beneficial bacteria every week. Should we stop? The only issue is bouts of string algae (hot sun this summer).

I thought the bacteria was to keep the bio-balls alive and well.

All new to us, so any advice is appreciated. This forum has been a GREAT resource.

Attachments

• IMG_20210619_124656453_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210619_124656453_HDR.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 32
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Personally, I wouldn't use that, especially if there is no reason to do so. Just a waste of money to me.

The bacteria for your filtration is a different type. It won't survive long without water or food (ammonia), so it can't be dried or kept bottled on a shelf.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Personally, I wouldn't use that, especially if there is no reason to do so. Just a waste of money to me.

The bacteria for your filtration is a different type. It won't survive long without water or food (ammonia), so it can't be dried or kept bottled on a shelf.
Can you please suggest what I should use instead of the powdered bacteria? I just assume it was an inert bacteria, like yeast, that activates with water.

Newbie ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In my opinion, you don't need to add anything. Your pond doesn't need additives

If muck accumulates on the bottom, vacuum it out. With good filtration there shouldn't be much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
WaterGardener is trying to tell you you've been wasting money for no reason; your pond already has what it needs. The builder knows very little, apparently.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I realize that most members on this forum are in the 'anti-adding-beneficial-bacteria' camp, but... I will say that I do use both liquid & powdered bacterial additives, especially early in the ponding season & also to give a boost late in the fall & have absolutely seen a difference in my water quality & clarity when doing so.

"Wasting" my money? Maybe. But I feel they make a difference. I believe it was LisaK that once that likened it to people taking probiotics (which I also do! lol) Yes, your intestines *should* make their own natural flora of bacteria, so adding extras in would be a 'waste of money', but.... I'll put this squarely in the 'might help, can't hurt' category. If I notice a favorable improvement, who am I to argue that what I've added is a 'waste'?
I was taught to 'pond' by the top builders at Aquascape, years ago. Are they in it to make money? Yeah, but... Why do those same builders use these bacterial additives if they do no good & are a total waste?

OK, I'm rambling now, but... yeah. I've made my point. I will now go crawl back under my rock of beneficial bacteria & never speak of adding them again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@BKHpondcritters , what brand of bacterial additive do you use that's made a difference in your water quality and clarity ? When our pond was first built the man who built it added, I think it was called MicroLift? It was a smelly product and I couldn't see that it hurt anything, but was never sure it helped either. I'm interested in what you're using.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I realize that most members on this forum are in the 'anti-adding-beneficial-bacteria' camp, but... I will say that I do use both liquid & powdered bacterial additives, especially early in the ponding season & also to give a boost late in the fall & have absolutely seen a difference in my water quality & clarity when doing so.

"Wasting" my money? Maybe. But I feel they make a difference. I believe it was LisaK that once that likened it to people taking probiotics (which I also do! lol) Yes, your intestines *should* make their own natural flora of bacteria, so adding extras in would be a 'waste of money', but.... I'll put this squarely in the 'might help, can't hurt' category. If I notice a favorable improvement, who am I to argue that what I've added is a 'waste'?
I was taught to 'pond' by the top builders at Aquascape, years ago. Are they in it to make money? Yeah, but... Why do those same builders use these bacterial additives if they do no good & are a total waste?

OK, I'm rambling now, but... yeah. I've made my point. I will now go crawl back under my rock of beneficial bacteria & never speak of adding them again.
Oh, I can understand your pov; no problem. I was told, in my pond-birth, that using bales of barley straw would keep algae at bay. In my case, I didn't see a difference, but in your case, you do. I guess if you look at it from my pov, that I don't add anything and my water is clear ( the UW cam can see the other side, 18' away), there's little evidence that adding bacteria would make that better. It can't get any better. So for me, when I read/learn that the bacteria lags behind nutrient increase, putting in such should help get a pond past that and yet, I've never had a problem that way and most will say I'm overstocked, which should make me a prime audience for buying bacteria each spring. Then again, I don't feed early, letting the fish graze on algae, hornwort, bits of perrenials hanging over the edge and have little decaying bioload on the pond bottom.

I guess I take umbrage with the thought a pond 'needs' additional good bacteria and do think it's already in most established ponds already.

But no, no rock crawling; it's good to get different perspectives and associated reasoning. If addy had listened to prevailing attiudes re bogs, I wonder how many here would champion them as they do! We live, we learn; it's all good!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@BKHpondcritters , what brand of bacterial additive do you use that's made a difference in your water quality and clarity ? When our pond was first built the man who built it added, I think it was called MicroLift? It was a smelly product and I couldn't see that it hurt anything, but was never sure it helped either. I'm interested in what you're using.
I use liquid Microbe-Lift professional blend. (and yes, it stinks to high heaven!) Supposedly it's composed of 80% 'regular' microbe-lift beneficial bacteria and 10% each of something specifically for fish & plants. I also use dry Muck Buster, alternating between the two different formulas when I add them (usually weekly at the start of the season, only randomly or not at all during summer as long as water clarity stays good) ending with the Muck Buster in fall to help break down any leaves, etc... that I don't manage to get out before winter (although I'm pretty obsessive about putting the pond to bed for the season in a very clean state, wind & leaves do happen here in the woods!)

I've noticed the biggest difference early in the season when the perennial plants aren't all up & running yet, but the onslaught of spawning amphibians is here flailing around, stirring things up & basically making a huge mess of things! If I'm diligent with adding the bacteria, things clear up much quicker than if I don't. I've tried 'waiting it out' and spent months being very frustrated. It's probably also important to note - I do not have a bog. I have two biofalls & two skimmers. My upper pool is a shallow (4 - 6" deep) flow through area that is filled with plants, but that's not the same. However, my water is crystal clear, my 14 koi (plus one random goldfish) are healthy, so I'm happy. It's working for me & my pond, so I'm gonna go with 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it!' :)

Ask a Question