Bunions and their treatments?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Has anyone here had surgical treatment for bunions, and if so, what was the outcome for you?

Or, was there another treatment that worked for you?

I have an appt. Monday with an orthopedic surgeon -- this will be my first time to see a doctor for this. Everything I've read so far, and even talking to my family doctor, seems to paint a bleak picture: recovery is lengthy and painful and there is a good chance either the surgery won't work or the bunion will return. YIKES!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What type of bunion do you have? I developed a tailors bunion (at the base of the pinky toe) after breaking my foot a few years ago. The dr said it was structural and I keep it in check by wearing a device called yoga toes. Available on Amazon. It's designed to realign your toes and eliminate bunions. For me it's been about 95% successful. The bump is still there but MUCH smaller and not painful at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I had a bi lateral bunionectomy, meaning I had both feet down at the same time. I chose to do both, as I was pre-school director and had my summers off and frankly, I'd heard stories of people who were to afraid to have the second one done!

It is not an easy surgery. Recovery is slow, as the feet are the farthest body part, from the heart. I still suffered from pain and swelling at the beginning of the school year.

I would not recommend this surgery, unless you're in extreme pain....then it's a necessity, as it was for me. Mine were the size of small eggs and were terribly painful.

My right foot healed better than my left. The left foot has reduced range of motion. I've had many years of relief, but the darn things are growing back :(

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Had it done last summer! My bunion would keep me up at night and was a CONSTANT pain. I was taking ibuprofen daily get to work and back, I didn't like this, pain killers OK once in awhile but long term daily use is not OK. Dr warned me to be very careful after the procedure not to damage his work, got to wear a surgical boot for weeks! I was careful, mine healed decent, went back to fulltime work after 8 weeks:(. One year later only the scar remains. Enjoy some pics!
001.JPG
003.JPG

And from just now!
020.JPG

If your quality of life is suffering it should be taken care of, those scouts need you out there. Though I don't advocate surgery of any kind sometimes it is the better option. Take some downtime, get your life back. My doctor made it so the chance of a return bunion is very low by cutting a toe bone and re-positioning it with a metal rod, thus keeping the joint aligned. Ask for the minimal anesthesia, I feel that to be the worst part about any surgery, it can really change you, forever.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Lisak1 Unofficially, until I see the doctor Monday, I have just plain old big-toe bunions (bilateral), a bunionette (Tailor's bunion) on the right, and a smaller baby bunion on the left.

@Tula Yes, they're pretty painful. And when they don't actually hurt, there is nerve-type pain. But will see what the doc says Monday. I can already say that changing the shoes I wear isn't going to help -- I already practically live barefooted, don't wear heels, and can't stand tight shoes, etc. So there is no alternative in that respect, LOL. If I do end up having surgery, wish I could get it done all at once. Of course, I would be non-functional for a while, but at least it would be over with sooner.

@Big Lou Thanks!

@peter hillman Thanks for the pics -- wow! Your feet look good, even immediately post-op. But ouch, it does look painful!

I envy folks with nice long toes. I got the Hobbit-feet with little shorty toes :barefoot:. Also flat-footed....

Anyway, I'll post an update after I see the doc Monday. Thanks, all!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@Mmathis , my doctor joked with me, before my surgery, that soon I'd be on a shoe shopping spree....not for the shoes, but for the boxes they came is, as that was what would soon fit my feet!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My Crocs sit right by my back door - they are my favorite shoes. Love them! Great for working around the pond as I can step in and out of the water with no worries. The mud just rinses right off.

My husband laughed at my Crocs for years until I went to get a new pair this year and they were buy one/get one free. I convinced him to try them on and he's a convert! We keep several of my old pairs by the back door for guests to slip on - my grown up "too cool for Crocs" kids are the first ones to grab a pair!

The only issue I have with them is they can get really slippery when the treads wear down, but it takes four or five hard seasons of wear, so that's not unreasonable. I'm just careful to replace them when I notice excessive wear.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
All I wear is Crocs!

I was watching some "bunion" videos this afternoon. Most of those feet were labeled as "mild" bunions. Geesh! If what I saw was "mild," then I guess what I have would be classified as nonexistent.....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good news! I don't have bunions! I just have weird feet.... LOL, it's actually bone spurs causing the problems -- plus that I have totally flat feet.

Fixable, and he can do both at the same time. The surg and recovery won't be as involved as with bunions.

So, looking at Hubby's schedule now to see when he can take a day off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well, that is good news indeed :) I'm sure bone spurs are painful, so wishing you a prompt surgery date and smooth recovery :)

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
[QUOTE="Mmathis, post: 313616, member: 3238"
So, looking at Hubby's schedule now to see when he can take a day off.[/QUOTE]
Better make that a WEEK off! ;) Hope all goes well with the surgery, and you have a speedy recovery. (y)
John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
While you are bored.......feel free to type away! Good luck with your surgery(y)

Ask a Question