Burning Algae, Is it toxic?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have had my fair share of this hair algae for the past few years. My fire pit is up against the pond. So, when I pull it out, I just throw it in the pit. When we start a fire, I've always left the algae in there. Had a thought the other day, is that toxic?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have had my fair share of this hair algae for the past few years. My fire pit is up against the pond. So, when I pull it out, I just throw it in the pit. When we start a fire, I've always left the algae in there. Had a thought the other day, is that toxic?

If it is only filamentous algae, there is no danger. If it is certain species of Blue-Green algae (Cyano-bacteria) then toxins may be present. There is no information available addressing the burning of any algae, much less Blue-Green. My opinion would be that any toxicity would be experienced in the handling of the algae, burning would likely destroy any toxins.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Probably not, but DAMN hard to light! :D
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
No, it's not Cyano. Just that nasty dry hair algae. I wouldn't be concerned about it but sometimes the grand kids are over when we have a fire. I have it on my gravel in the bog also @Nepen it's annoying.
I think I have it worse this year than in the past.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
There was quite a bit in the pit one night. It was dry and I didn't notice a smell. I don't have a compost or any place to put it. Could throw it in the can that hubby puts grass clippings in.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Husky welcome.gif
@magnus oliver
Hey maybe start a thread post and introduce yourself eh?

Ask a Question