Busy day at the pond!

Reaction score
My dad came over today to check out the pond (he periodically stops by to see it - loves it!) and he spotted a snake with a frog in it's mouth (well, really his leg but given another few minutes he would have been a goner). So my father hit the snake and it dropped the frog (frog's leg was bleeding - hope he made it). I told my father to kill the snake (sorry snake lover's, but that is one reptile I can't handle!).

Of course now I'm freaked out every time I go to the pond, thinking there are snakes all around it! Then later on, I went to the pond and two frogs were mating! Quite a day at the pond!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Probably a bull snake. They help get rid of mice etc.

Reaction score
It's in a bag in my garage - when my husband gets home hopefully he'll be able to figure it out. Are there bull snakes in NY?

Reaction score
any snake is a DEAD snake at my house. There is no need to look it up to see if it is poisonous or not. Hopefully, your lil' frog survives....

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was actually thinking garter snake, and typed bull..........lol sorry

Reaction score
You were correct, Addy - it was a garter snake. I went back to the pond later on and two frogs were mating! This morning, I counted 9 frogs at my pond so they seem to really like it there, regardless of the snakes - maybe they are just clueless that their lives are in potential danger!

Reaction score
3qtkidz - I'm with you - every time I go to the pond now, I'm looking for snakes - something I never even thought about until yesterday.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Telkwa said:
What do you have against garter snakes?

I think they just don't like snakes. They are welcome here. I have always liked snakes.

Reaction score
Nothing personal - just don't like any type of snake in general - they scare me. I especially don't like ones that eat the frogs at my pond!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
between the rabbits and frogs breeding we are starting to have a rabbit and frog farm! Baby frogs and rabbits everywhere

Reaction score
For some reason, I never see rabbits in my yard - even though they are all over this town. Probably because of my 3 dogs - however, the deer are in my yard all of the time eating apples from the trees - could care less about the dogs!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
LOL we just had two bucks next to the pond eating the apples. I was in the back yard about 25 feet from them, they just ignored me. Nice three and two pointers. (I don't hunt)
I had to rescue a baby rabbit that had fallen into a black empty plant pot. It could not get out, smaller than the palm of my hand.

Reaction score
Aww..... I love rabbits! I haven't seen any bucks in a while - mostly does coming in the yard, I'm assuming. One of my dogs gives them a good run - she is almost just as fast as the deer, and I'm worried one day she's going to get stomped on!

Ask a Question