Busy wild fire season

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, j.w, I can certainly sympathize with you (from your post/thread in Sept concerning smoke--so, I thought I would do my own little thread) . I live in Flagstaff, AZ. Back about 10-12 years ago, we had the Schultz Fire. I think it burned about 17,000 acres of ponderosa pine. We had to evacuate our place for 4 or 5 days. Some of the fire burned up to our sub division. About a month later, flooding started. My house was saved, but others in the sub division did get flooded. So, prepare for that?

Now jump ahead to this spring, the Tunnel Fire burned our area again to the tune of 19,000 acres, at the end of April. My wife and I were evacuated again for 5 days (don't remember any flooding at the time).

Then in June we flew to Florida. While we were visiting in Florida for a month (my wife's brother and his wife were house sitting-about two months after the Tunnel Fire), they had to evacuate for another fire, the Pipeline Fire, which burned over 26,000 acres. I flew home a week early from our trip to do sand bagging for the imminent flood that would come during our "monsoon" season. After my wife got home from Florida a couple of days, We flew to Paraguay and visited my oldest son and his family for 3 and a half weeks. While we were there flooding did occur and my brother in law, who was house sitting again for us, had to evacuate again. Fortunately our house and property did not get burned out, or flooded then (although later we experienced some flooding to the house).

So, we've had a very busy and exciting summer time. Even with all of what has happened, the Lord, has blessed me and my family during it all. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I lived in flagstaff during my college years. Left to work after getting my masters. Headed to Phoenix stayed there for years.

Loved flagstaff, but no job for me. Mainly we had a Lot of snow, no fires I can recall.

Beautiful area, did a lot of hiking. Down the grand canyon a lot. Up the peaks quite a few times.

Happy your house has survived.

One of my sisters lives there now.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@gimpy sorry to hear about those fires effecting you and your family. We've never had a fire close enough to us to threaten our lives or home. Only bad air quality from too much smoke for too long. We have been praying for rain, never thought I would do that as I love the warm sunny days. Finally here it started to rain a couple days ago. Now we have lost our warmth and dry days for the most part and the smoke is gone and air quality is good. The Bolt Creek fire that has been giving us all the smoke is 50% contained now and is expected to be 100% contained by Oct 31st. It is so good to be able to breath good air again and I give thanks to the Lord for this!
Happy you and your family are safe :happy:

Ask a Question